Ibanez Disappointment

This one is pretty all right 😊
View attachment 2308

I’m so damn jealous. I’ve never even had the chance to play a JPM! I’m pissed at myself for passing up on a P3 for $400 back in the late 90’s because it was in rough shape but only needed a good cleaning and set up. I’m more pissed about that than any other sale/passing on gear I’ve ever done.

I’m so damn jealous. I’ve never even had the chance to play a JPM! I’m pissed at myself for passing up on a P3 for $400 back in the late 90’s because it was in rough shape but only needed a good cleaning and set up. I’m more pissed about that than any other sale/passing on gear I’ve ever done.
Jesus, man 400 bucks? Crazy!
I scored on this at $1300 a couple years ago. :)

Jesus, man 400 bucks? Crazy!
I scored on this at $1300 a couple years ago. :)

The P4 was out at the time and not selling well, there was an overall ho-hum with those guitars in the late 90’s. I remember the pics of it, the bridge was pulled up so damn far it was like there was no tension on the strings, the fingerboard looked like someone played with mud on their fingers for days, strings were straight rusted and the back was scratched to sh*t. Still would have been AWESOME, damnit. The P3’s are my favorite ones, next to the P2.

This one is pretty all right 😊
View attachment 2308
I've never noticed that the volume pot is so far away from the pickups. I know some clumsy players find it annoying to have it close because they hit it when they strum, but that's a no for me because I often roll my pinky around it for volume swells.

Last edited:
I've never noticed that the volume pot is so far away from the pickups. I know some clumsy players find it annoying to have it close because they hit it when they strum, but that's a no for me because I often roll my pinky around it for volume swells.
That's what volume pedals are for :) But yep not ideal for swells.

Clumsy players like Paul Gilbert? Lol
That was one of the worst aspects of the older RGs. I would always do what Paul did and delete the tone knob and move the volume to the tone spot.

My MIJ Ibanez Prestige AZ was killer, but that's a $2000 guitar.

I kind of want an RG because that was my first "dream" guitar as a kid, but I don't like the skinny necks and they all seem to be such poor quality.

That was one of the worst aspects of the older RGs. I would always do what Paul did and delete the tone knob and move the volume to the tone spot.
1668040124874.png

Is there some video of that moment when the drill was caught on his hair?

Last edited:

Now I remember at one of his tutorials. It was a lesson for total beginners where he starts teaching about about attitude, about not being a static player. He shows some examples of how to hit the strings with attitude, swimming his arm from the sky to the bottom like a windmill. That is how you surely hit all the knobs :rofl
Excited Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Bill And Ted Air Guitar GIF by Bill & Ted Face the Music

Ibanez used to be my favorite guitar company in the world, but I'd be lying if I said I have zero interest in buying anything new from them at this point, regardless of the price. To get the same quality you got in the 90's you're looking at spending $3500 or more and the QC on the mid-level stuff is all over the place. I'd have no problem with the Premium stuff if they QC matched the level of specs going into the guitars. I've certainly played some great ones, but I've played a hell of a lot more duds.

@-BOOGIEMAN-, I wouldn't even bother getting a re-fret, just look on Ebay or Reverb for a new neck, there's TONS of RG470/350/RG necks on there from people parting out the guitars. Then grab yourself a Gotoh 1996t and that thing will be rockin'!
Ibanez Genesis are killing it for no money.
This is the best thing I've bought for this money in years;
IMG_2878.jpeg

IMG_2893.jpeg

Ok I dressed the fret ends but I always do that.
This plays flawlessly and has an acoustic tone as good as ANY bolt on at ANY price.
These and MIM Charvel are insanely good value.

Ibanez Genesis are killing it for no money.
This is the best thing I've bought for this money in years;
View attachment 2666
View attachment 2667
Ok I dressed the fret ends but I always do that.
This plays flawlessly and has an acoustic tone as good as ANY bolt on at ANY price.
These and MIM Charvel are insanely good value.

Yeah, I’ve played a few nice Charvels and I definitely agree with the Genesis line; but the Genesis line is just a small part of their overall production when it used to be the standard across the board. Even their cheaper 90’s RG470’s were better put together than the majority of Premiums I’ve played and with a $120 bridge swap, you’d have an awesome RG470, or even the RG350. Now you’re looking at a full hardware swap and a fret job on guitars that feel like they’re made of plastic.

Paul Gilbert is like 7 feet tall with hands the size of dinner plates. He could do volume swells with the knob on the back of the guitar.

I *REALLY* am interested in getting another Ibanez AZ. I really like the look of the Indo AZ that's like the Suhr Pete Thorn:

p_region_AZ42P1_BK_1P_01.png

This one also looks killer AND it's in stock a few miles away. But I don't know about HSH or those particular Dimazios:

p_region_AZ47P1QM_BIB_1P_01.png

However, I mostly want to have single coils in the neck and middle, like this one:

p_region_AZ2204B_BK_00_01.png

But I'm also thinking about ordering a new Megaswitch or Super Switch and just wiring it up so I can get some split tones out of my PRS S2 Standard:

51804643547_2e630f0e5e_b.jpg

Paul Gilbert is like 7 feet tall with hands the size of dinner plates. He could do volume swells with the knob on the back of the guitar.

I *REALLY* am interested in getting another Ibanez AZ. I really like the look of the Indo AZ that's like the Suhr Pete Thorn:

p_region_AZ42P1_BK_1P_01.png

This one also looks killer AND it's in stock a few miles away. But I don't know about HSH or those particular Dimazios:

p_region_AZ47P1QM_BIB_1P_01.png

However, I mostly want to have single coils in the neck and middle, like this one:

p_region_AZ2204B_BK_00_01.png

But I'm also thinking about ordering a new Megaswitch or Super Switch and just wiring it up so I can get some split tones out of my PRS S2 Standard:

51804643547_2e630f0e5e_b.jpg

Damn, those first two AZ’s are SWEET. I still haven’t had the chance to play one yet, I think I played a Premium when they first came out and it was just a repeat of my previous Premium experiences, fingerboard shrinking/sharp fret ends and a really, really dry fingerboard being my biggest gripes.

Reactions: JT
I've gotten 4 Ibby's during this year.
Each and every one of them has been awesome.
No issues and no problems.
Same here I've picked up 4 Prestiges (2 japan only models) and a 550 Genesis, all of them have been pretty awesome
Sold this one as the super wizard HP neck was just a little too thin for me, but I may buy it back (sold it locally)RG657-MSK
IMG_4268.jpg

Japan only release RG2770QZA-WPB
IMG_4465.jpg

Rg3727 7 string
mduzgbpri68vyakclbn3.jpg

RG1550M
IMG_4437.jpg

Another Japan on release RG2560MZEX in Cromson red (maybe a spot model or one off) originally H/S/S with my tech now being restored
IMG_4504.jpg

RG550 Genesis
IMG_4493.jpg

Last edited:
Back