I threw the kitchen sink at this

DrewJD82

Staff member
This is a tune I wrote/recorded when I first got these studio monitors as a way to teach myself how to mix on. I also did not have a way of recording amps at the time, so I was still only using the AxeFX. This is most certainly not a amp vs modelers comparison, but an example of why I needed to play through an amp again for a while. I had lost perspective on dialing in tones.

This was what I recorded back around January, I'm pretty sure I'm using the Jose 6CA7 I did up, a JCM800 and there's some Friedman stuff in the bridge.

And this is what I did today-I haven't listened to this outside the studio, I just finished the bass and after 12 hours, I'm cooked.Hahhaha I cranked the shit out of the B7K on the bass in the bridge and it's a bit obnoxious here.

All the guitars and bass are new, aside from 3 guitar tracks.

Main rhythm tone

Orville- Bogner Shiva- Suhr RL- AxeFX DynaCabs (Friedman V30, 57 and Ribbon)
Edwards- EVH 50-watt- Suhr RL- AxeFX DynaCabs (Recto 4x12 Straight Ribbon)
Some rhythm tracks are the originals, which I believe were Friedman models. Mostly the bits heard by themselves.

Octave Overdubs in the Chorus
Electra Dyne- Suhr RL- Fractal Friedman GB Dynacab (both guitars, one on each side0

Single note picked parts
Old Man Strat - AxeFX AC30- AC30 Dynca Cab Ribbon

Solo- Orville, AxeFX Jose 6CA7

At the same time I was learning these new monitors, I was getting reacquainted with an amp sitting in front of me. I wanted to see how close I could make this how I wanted using mainly what I had for amps and not just the AxeFX, but at one point I got tired of tweaking amps and it was faster for me to dial in the AC30 in the AxeFX than it was to mimic a similar sound with any of the amps. Didn't get exactly where I wanted tonally, but it's also not mixed at all. It does have more depth and meat, a bit more organic all around I suppose.

Last edited:
noddingmannuclear.gif

Dayuum!! thats awesome Drew very heavy and articulate and as always great playing
Def worthy of the signature plectrum toss

:chef :headbang :chef

Thanks guys.

It passed the truck test better than I thought it would! I thought for sure it was going to be a mess of low end and garbled guitars but outside of some light EQ things and volume adjustments, it’s mostly there. Anxious to start vocals on this one, I had to wait a bit for the lyrical content to work its way up but I got something to run with now.

Still gotta fix that B7K on the bass in the bridge, it’s a bit much though it does add to the chaos feel a bit.

Thanks guys.

It passed the truck test better than I thought it would! I thought for sure it was going to be a mess of low end and garbled guitars but outside of some light EQ things and volume adjustments, it’s mostly there. Anxious to start vocals on this one, I had to wait a bit for the lyrical content to work its way up but I got something to run with now.

Still gotta fix that B7K on the bass in the bridge, it’s a bit much though it does add to the chaos feel a bit.

I listened to it on my H-Fi Drew and it sounded really good

Cambridge Audio Integrated, KEF Uni Q, Velodyne sub

:chef

Back