I might be "back", maybe, lol

Baba

Shredder
I have been using an amp since around last December, but, like a lot of us, somehow, the way something sounds, seems to change with time, lol.

At the gig this past Saturday, we alternated (6 total, 3 sets each) sets with another band, and they were the "headliner", which means I didn’t have to stick around for the/their last set, so I wanted to be able to pack up quickly and get out of there, as this place is 2 hours from home, so I did Helix/modeling-only and stereo IEMs.

(This place also has monster monitors/sound, and a GREAT sound guy, so I knew I was set there).

Earlier this week, I was messing with an old IEMs preset, but using the 5150 model now, different gain settings per snapshot, etc.

Short story, it sounded good and worked well, and, I might be “back” lol.

We already knew this, but the sound man told me he cut me at about 10 or 12k, (I forgot to apply a high cut), and had to add some 200hz in for the chunk.

That is definitely the key to live sound for modelers, IMO. I already add 125hz on my guitar monitor line in the Helix, always have, so that makes total sense. I thought adding that to the overall tone would be too much, and FOH guys would hate it, so I just let each guy do what they wanted at FOH.

By my experience, and hearing many other guitar players run direct over the years, at least with the Helix, with either IRs or stock cabs, it definitely needs some low end added when going direct, because while those tones may sit well in a recording mix, they sound thin as hell in a live mix.

As always, we'll see how long this lasts, lol. I reserve the right to change my mind at any time. :rofl

It's interesting to me reading the EQ changes here because they almost perfectly match EQ changes I've found I like best as I've been re-acquainting myself with the Helix amps.

I've been cutting just above 10k and boosting 200Hz and find I like the sound of everything better at those settings.

It's interesting to me reading the EQ changes here because they almost perfectly match EQ changes I've found I like best as I've been re-acquainting myself with the Helix amps.

I've been cutting just above 10k and boosting 200Hz and find I like the sound of everything better at those settings.
Interesting. How much boost at 200Hz? If parametric what Q setting? I’d like to try this out…

Interesting. How much boost at 200Hz? If parametric what Q setting? I’d like to try this out…

Quite a bit. This is a little weird and there's probably a better way of accomplishing this, but these are the settings I'm finding I like best right now:

Global EQ:
HPF 100Hz
LPF 10kHz

Low/High Shelf EQ after amp block:
Low Freq 200Hz
Low gain +12db
High Freq 6.2kHz
High gain +2db

I'm finding I like the Low/High Shelf EQ better than the parametric EQ for this application. Maybe because it's shelving and only boosting all frequencies below/above those two frequencies instead of a range on either side of them.

Quite a bit. This is a little weird and there's probably a better way of accomplishing this, but these are the settings I'm finding I like best right now:

Global EQ:
HPF 100Hz
LPF 10kHz

Low/High Shelf EQ after amp block:
Low Freq 200Hz
Low gain +12db
High Freq 6.2kHz
High gain +2db

I'm finding I like the Low/High Shelf EQ better than the parametric EQ for this application. Maybe because it's shelving and only boosting all frequencies below/above those two frequencies instead of a range on either side of them.
Ah shelving… that makes more sense to me. Thanks!

Back