I have re-appropriated my bathroom

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
My home studio is basically a side-flat that the previous house owner built onto the house. It is quite a nice size actually, and I can get a lot of gear in it. It is divided into two. A larger living space with a kitchen area, and a small bathroom with a bath tub, shower, toilet, and even a small clothes washing machine!

I've just been storing tons of junk in there for over a year now. All the boxes for my synths and pedals, an Alesis Strike Pro SE which I don't use anymore, and cables and just... yeah, like I say. Junk.

I've wanted to try turning it into a small iso-room for a guitar cab for quite a while now. So today, I though sod it... let's do it. So I've cleaned it out....

1708181504647.png

I've packed the tub out with a ton of foam from the boxes I cut down. But also there's a few guitar cases in there, as well as a nice layer across the bottom of Acoustilay 15.

If you don't know about this stuff, it is pretty amazing. My last studio, I did a whole floor with it, which really cut down the over the air noise and vibration transference. I had a bunch left over and so I've whacked it into the tub. Basically, anything fairly heavy and dense (the foam isn't dense, but I think it will help cut down on reflections) to try and reduce the resonance boom of the tub.

I even whacked an old bass case that I don't use on top of it all:
1708181678546.png

Then after that, a bit of worktop:
1708181689862.png

Which only just about fit because of the tap!!

Finally, then a piece of acoustilay 15 on top, and a 4x12 sitting on top of it:
1708181717304.png

It is reasonably stable, although I wish the worktop were a bit deeper. But anyway.. it'll do....

The next part of this plan is to put some rockwool style insulation into the room. Around the cab, and on the opposite wall, so I can effectively reduce the reflections within the room.

But this will allow me to perma-mic a cab, run some cables into the main room, close the door, and have a "live room" experience, right at home.

Fortunately there are no houses that are close to this room, just our driveway at the front. There's an airvent that I think I need to close off as well, although that might increase damp in there, so I may just leave it for now.

Anyway... proper crufty, but this should be a decent approach I think.

lmao. The wife doesn't give mind. In fact she encourages me pretty much all the time, and I'm the luckiest edgelord in the world.

This isn't the house bathroom. It is a spare one specifically for the mini-flat. We've got a downstairs shitter and a proper upstairs bathroom in the main part of the house.

lmao. The wife doesn't give mind. In fact she encourages me pretty much all the time, and I'm the luckiest edgelord in the world.

This isn't the house bathroom. It is a spare one specifically for the mini-flat. We've got a downstairs shitter and a proper upstairs bathroom in the main part of the house.
I kid, my wife puts up with a lot of my crap already... I'm a lucky man too.

Btw, curious to hear the results!

I built out a walk-in closet in our spare bedroom for isolation purposes. It keeps the sound in pretty well with a cranked cab.. and it's great for vocals or acoustic instruments. I haven't been using it much lately but this thread is making me itch again.

Here is a sine-sweep through the FX return of my Dual Rectifier, with a 421 on the bottom right speaker of the cab. I've also covered the cab in some thick quilts to help prevent high frequency reflections from coming back into the microphone. It won't be 100% perfect of course. But it does help.

1708185870010.png

Here is a waterfall chart of the same sweep:
1708185972023.png

That is actually not too bad. I was expecting to see a lot more ripples from 1kHz and up, which is often what you see when you have reflections coming from tiled walls around your mic position, and is also what you would expect if you had a lot of comb filtering going on.

Also there aren't any super huge low-end resonances jumping out. So I think packing the tub out has worked. You can see that roughly speaking, the response is quite flat with no huge areas of discrepancy.

Here is the RT60 Decay graph:
1708186187514.png

The RT60 Decay graph is a way to visualise essentially how quickly different frequency bands decay away over time. If there were resonances that were problematic, you'd see a part of the frequency range decay away "closer" to the front of the graph. But this looks pretty decent to me.

Finally, here is a Spectrogram representation:
1708186410428.png

I will post some audio recordings.

1708187918830.png

So here is a recording of the cab on top of the tub. It is a bit boomy, and I'm trying to ascertain what that is. Could be the cab, or the mic, or the positioning, or the room itself.

The graph above shows a comparison between the cab on the tub and the floor. The floor is actually a bit more resonant and boomy in that 115-142hz range, versus the tub. So I'm fairly confident the tub itself isn't adding a ton of extra low-end resonance, which is what I was originally worried about. So now it just comes down to dialling it all in.

The cab I'm using is my Marshall Mde Four cab with K100's and it does have a tendency to flump out. I'm gonna try my Egnater to see if I have the same issue.

I did a recording with my Egnater V30 cab.
1708190192263.png

Red curve. Not actually that dissimilar to the others. That 4kHz spike you really hear as it goes! I kinda love it.

So I plumbed the dimensions of the room into a room mode calculator. Here's what I get:

1708190172838.png

Two of the room modes (110hz and 138hz) fall within the 'boom' region I am hearing.

1708190839619.png

Right, so.....

Green: Marshall Mode Four 4x12 (K100) with a 421 on the bottom right speaker. Cab is on the tub.
Pink: Marshall Mode Four 4x12 (K100) with a 421 on the bottom right speaker. Cab is on the floor.
Red: Egnater 4x12 (V30) with a 421 on the bottom right speaker. Cab is on the tub.
Orange: Suhr Reactive Load IR, so taking the room out of it. With an Ownhammer Mesa Boogie Dual Recto 4x12 V30 cab. SM57 is the mic though.

Ignore anything above 300hz. I'm trying to suss out whether the low-end peak is coming from the room. I don't think it is. I think it is the amp.

I actually quite like the sound I am getting under the mic. It is a bit boomy, but I think that is the amp itself.

Back