I can't get excited about any of the newer DM gear /-:

TJontheRoad

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
I think I might need to turn in my DM card. Ever since my QC took a dump, got another Kemper, and held on to my old school FM9 (no turbo), there's nothing that has come out in the DM space that even tickles my GAS. Tonex, NAM, Tone Master Pro, blah blah blah. I can't help but feel like why bother? It ain't gonna make me sound better anyway. Leaves more money for buying synths though. At least Boss came through for me.

Isn't that a pretty happy situation? You already got something great with no need to buy the new thing.

I totally get you though, I haven't found compelling reasons to get any of these. I was interested in the Tonex but the app experience soured me on it big time so I never bought the pedal. IK has clearly not made an effort to make it better either.

The only new unit I'm interested in is the BluGuitar Amp X and I am very much on the fence if I will buy that either. My Amp 1 Mercury Edition + pedals already does most of what the Amp X offers, even though I would enjoy being able to set the channel EQs separately and use the Amp 1 Iridium Edition sounds. I fear that the Amp X will be too cumbersome and somewhat dated to work with by the time it finally releases.

Otherwise I'm in a waiting pattern for whatever Line6 or Fractal makes next.

I’m with ya 100%, man.

I’ve actually had a similar conversation a couple times in the last week; I’m all set with Fractal and it would take a LOT to move that needle for me, most certainly it’d be another Fractal product and even that would have to be a vast difference between what I already have. I’m already getting all the tones I’ve ever dreamed of and I have no issues with the steps taken to get them, that one bit in itself is why nothing else is exciting to me.

That's probably a good indication that we are very fortunate that the gear out there now is so good. Yes, anything can be better, but IMO we are living in good times when almost all of the top shelf gear only has minor differences and those usually come down to user UI & sonic preferences.

Pretty much the same for me. But I think I also managed to become much more GAS and impulse buy resistant.
As an exampe, I thought I'd be all over the ToneX - but in the end, at least for once, I was thinking about what it'd add to my arsenal that wasn't properly covered yet or whether it'd offer a certain workflow enhancement. And while it would add something, while it'd also improve my workflow in some situations - I'm simply not running into these situations often enough to justify any purchase, let alone restructuring my current arsenal (which would've been partially required).

In addition, there's so much things still to be explored within the stuff I already have, so I should rather look around there whenever I feel like wanting something fresh.

I’m probably not going to buy another modeler until the Axe-FX IV is released.
I'm kinda in the same boat as Drew where the IV would REALLY have to blow my socks off. Even after it's launched I imagine the III will still be supported for some time after. I don't mind the UI enough or captures where it would make me want to spend $$$$. I have to imagine the IV will be around $2600 maybe?

me either. i just want another helix for backup but none of the new stuff coming out even grabs my attention let alone makes me consider buying it.

I have felt this way for a while as well. Once you get to the top tier, everything these days seems like mostly a lateral move depending on your workflow. I have been good with the non-turbo version of the FM9 for quite a while and don't see that changing.

The FM3 did it for me. Really...the AX8 pretty much did but once the FM3 was announced I moved it in anticipation of eventually getting the FM3. In the gap between I had fun trying out several units, but the last few years (and very much the last year working on my EP) I've been focused way more on playing and composition, the reasons I started playing guitar so many years ago. The gear carousel thing has just kinda played itself out.

Isn't that a pretty happy situation? You already got something great with no need to buy the new thing.

Yes, but there's now this emptiness inside me that the GAS was once before fulfilling. (not really lol).

I’m probably not going to buy another modeler until the Axe-FX IV is released.
I don't even think that'll move the needle for me (I say this now :grin ). Is it gonna sound more real than current state of realism? I'm using my Kemper more than FM9. That's because I have my own profiles to work with though. Kemper has created to best paradigm for guitar gear that lasts and still relevant. Helix isn't far behind after all these years. OTOH, All these new toys coming out have a disposable look to them.

TJ we’ve all seen your gear den in your videos. It looks like the showroom floor at Sweetwater. :ROFLMAO:
SW is great but doesn't go deep enough down the rabbit hole where I lurk.

:bag

What, can't get excited about lesser offerings? That makes ZERO sense. :wat

I kid. The Gear Churn is a real thing, and once we are free of it we can
move on to better things, maybe things we originally intended when we
wanted to become a "musician" in the first place---like making music,
becoming a better musician, and having fun with what we already have. :beer

What, can't get excited about lesser offerings? That makes ZERO sense. :wat

I kid. The Gear Churn is a real thing, and once we are free of it we can
move on to better things, maybe things we originally intended when we
wanted to become a "musician" in the first place---like making music,
becoming a better musician, and having fun with what we already have. :beer
I know I need to take a step back when I'm thinking about another purchase before my initial purchase even arrives. I was a fiend about 5 years ago!

Digital excitement is pretty much at a flatline right now.
Rubbing Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Back