HX Stomp output block

SillyOctpuss

Shredder
I was at a rehearsal earlier and made a bit of a discovery. I've been having some issues with my stomp in the the loop of my jvm. Currently I've been using a few analogue pedals in the front and my stomp in the loop.

My issue has been a huge jump in level whenever I turn on the FX loop even if all of the Stomps blocks are bypassed. This is with the Stomps input/output and the JVMs loop set to line level. I've been compensating for this via the output block but noticed earlier if I pan the output 100% left and put the volume back to zero that my stomps at unity gain. Panning centre takes the volume back up by 5-6db.

When I checked the manual I noticed it says if you're only running L/Mono output leave this set to centre.

Screenshot_2023-08-24-17-45-59-32_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f~2.jpg

Am I being dumb here? How does anyone else running a stomp or helix have their output block set? I'm just curious if I'm losing out in any way panning my block hard left.

Last edited:
JVM's Mix set to dry? Did you do a loopback test (connecting JVM's send with return directly)?

When I set the Stomp's input and output to Inst and max the vol knob on a blank patch with stock settings it's unity gain in a loop.
When I set input and output to Line on the same preset there is a slight (2dB?) boost.

Yes I jumped the send and return in the jvm loop with a patch cable and there's no volume difference switching the loop in and out.

If I set the stomp in and out to inst then there's a volume drop when I engage the loop. With the in and out set to line then there's a volume jump of about 5.5db. With the input panned L100 then I get unity gain switching the loop in and out.

Ok so I mucked about with this some more tonight and basically

- Jumping the send/return on either loop is unity gain
- Turning on analog bypass is also unity gain
- JVM loop set to +4db, stomp in/out to line level and pan set to centre requires a reduction to the output block of 5.9db for unity
- JVM loop set to +4db, stomp in/out to line level and pan set to L100 is pretty much unity
- JVM loop set to -10db, stomp in/out set to instrument and pan set to centre requires a boost to output block of 2.5db for unity

I'm honestly not sure which is the better option, or which one I should use. I've not really used effects loops before and have usually just run everything into the front of the amp.

The -10
Ok so I mucked about with this some more tonight and basically

- Jumping the send/return on either loop is unity gain
- Turning on analog bypass is also unity gain
- JVM loop set to +4db, stomp in/out to line level and pan set to centre requires a reduction to the output block of 5.9db for unity
- JVM loop set to +4db, stomp in/out to line level and pan set to L100 is pretty much unity
- JVM loop set to -10db, stomp in/out set to instrument and pan set to centre requires a boost to output block of 2.5db for unity

I'm honestly not sure which is the better option, or which one I should use. I've not really used effects loops before and have usually just run everything into the front of the amp.
I'd say all three are the same achieved by different means. Chose one and stick with it.

OK so I'm an idiot. It turns out I was trying to use the +4 and - 10 settings the wrong way round. I just set my stomp to line, the jvm loop to +4 and everything was fine with the output block at 0db panned in the centre.

So ignore me lol

Back