How the PROS Use Modelers Live - JC

Just a figure of speech, lol...

1 TGF demerit for missing the joke.

Yeah, this video hits home with me regarding IRs. I was messing about the other day on my Axe FX III and came upon an old patch as I was deleting ones to make space. I thought to myself how good this one patch sounded and looked to see which IR combo I used for that patch..because 4 IRs blended are awesome, right?! I was only using one IR for that scene. Made me rethink the whole more is better scenario.

I have recommended for years to assign expression pedals to volume (downstream of all nonlinear signal blocks) and reverb/delay mix. There's no way you won't have at least an occasional need to adjust both while playing live.

I agree with the general idea of dialing in darker at lower volumes; I'd go further and say to dial in a midrange-heavy sound at lower volumes. Your hearing response to low and high frequencies becomes stronger at higher volumes. A preset that sounds nicely balanced at gig volume will sound slightly muffled and thin by comparison at bedroom levels. One more thing: it's a good idea to generally use less drive/gain/distortion when dialing in at low volumes.

Regarding presets, cabs, etc., my counsel is to confine yourself to sounds that you are completely at home producing and that are appropriate for the musical situation in which you're playing. Some players have much broader tonal comfort zones than others, so there's no magic number of presets/scenes, etc to use. On cover gigs, I've used as many as half a dozen presets, but the vast majority of the time I was using one of two or three "core" presets. Playing with a big band, I've only ever used a single preset, but obviously that's a special case.

I have recommended for years to assign expression pedals to volume (downstream of all nonlinear signal blocks) and reverb/delay mix. There's no way you won't have at least an occasional need to adjust both while playing live.
This is why snapshots have been so essential to my live rig, for years now. Especially being a guy who runs everything out front.

When I'm on a clean channel I can ramp up the wetness much more, and when I'm on a gain channel I can bring the mix on my delays and reverbs back a bit, so that I'm still getting the lovely mushy crunch from the amp, but my delays and verbs aren't overpowering everything - unless I want them to.

Expression pedals are essential too in my view. I mostly use them for delay feedback.

I’ve been assigning delay/reverb mixes to an expression pedal since before I even got into modeling. I just saw/read about Petrucci doing it (where he got it from Steve Morse) and it made sense to me from a musical standpoint, I never even considered it in a ‘just in case’ standpoint.

I’m doing all originals in three bands and each one has its own presets (varying degrees of heavy stuff) but I do pick one IR and then usually one heavy and one clean/crunch amp for each and base any special FX presets around those core tones. Keeps it consistent and helps me to not dick around with my live presets for no reason. I do my final EQ and gain tweaks at performance volume and my EXP pedal is either volume or pitch, but it’s pretty easy to just put slightly less reverb and delay on my FX than maybe I think sounds cool just to keep it under control without futzing with it in the moment.

Just going to leave this here for all the “you can’t use multiple amps at a gig” commenters.

If you can get past the sloppy playing and out of tune guitars this is an example of 13 different amps used in one song

It seemed like I needed to make some sort of sound clip to show my point, so here’s a super rough quick and dirty GarageBand recording. (Sorry I did this so quick I didn’t even realize I forgot to tune my bass until after I’d already uploaded it! :bag:facepalm… seriously it’s a gross recording and the playing is terrible but it shows the point)

This is WAY more amp changing than I’d normally do, I just wanted to use a ton to show that it’s really not as “jarring” or “incongruous” as some have said, and actually doesn’t make a ton of extra work for the sound guys

Amps used in this clip:
  • Marshall Plexi
  • Vox AC30
  • Fender 5E3 Deluxe
  • Mesa Mark IV
  • Marshall JTM45
  • Peachy Invective
  • Line 6 Cartographer
  • Marshall JCM800
  • Friedman BE100
  • Vox AC15
  • Fender Deluxe Reverb
  • Matchless DC30
  • Orange Rockerverb

I agree with the general idea of dialing in darker at lower volumes; I'd go further and say to dial in a midrange-heavy sound at lower volumes. Your hearing response to low and high frequencies becomes stronger at higher volumes. A preset that sounds nicely balanced at gig volume will sound slightly muffled and thin by comparison at bedroom levels. One more thing: it's a good idea to generally use less drive/gain/distortion when dialing in at low volumes.

Regarding presets, cabs, etc., my counsel is to confine yourself to sounds that you are completely at home producing and that are appropriate for the musical situation in which you're playing. Some players have much broader tonal comfort zones than others, so there's no magic number of presets/scenes, etc to use. On cover gigs, I've used as many as half a dozen presets, but the vast majority of the time I was using one of two or three "core" presets. Playing with a big band, I've only ever used a single preset, but obviously that's a special case.
i used to use one volume pre gain, one as master and one as exp for delay wet/dry mix.
When using 2 amps a pop an pedal between them..

Just going to leave this here for all the “you can’t use multiple amps at a gig” commenters.

If you can get past the sloppy playing and out of tune guitars this is an example of 13 different amps used in one song

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. :LOL:

Back