How many do you use ?

How many amps do you actually use in your Modeler ?

• 1-5

Votes: 36 56.3%
  • 5-10

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • 10-15

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • 20+

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters
Very few these days… on Helix:

- litigator for fenderish cleans/crunch but with mids
- brit plexi brt for Marshall crunch
- placater for gain tones

Lately I’m using a Marshall in a box pedal for plexi/800 tones into Cali Texas

edit: and the Twin if I need a funky rhythm.

Helix has ~80 amp models, and i think i regularly use maybe 7 of those.

Been having a shitton of fun with Elmsley as of recently.

FAS Modern
FAS Modern II
Cameron CCV 2C
Plexi 1959HW
SV20H
Tweed F8(?)
ODS Clean
Deluxe Verb
JVM OD2 Orange
USA IIC++

These are currently the most used. I also throw in some of the Trainwrecks every now and then and I also have 8-amp presets each for high gain, crunch, and clean, that I like to pull up once in a while (so around 25-30 amps in total). But these ~10 amps are my go-to core amps to cover most ground for Drop C and standard tunings.

Stumbled upon the Capt. Hook in the Fractal last night (Preset 87). Pretty sure I never used that
one before. With a Telecaster and some pitchy bending it was :chef

Fwiw, out of laziness and because they pretty much suit all my needs: 2.
- Bman on the Amplifirebox, set so it works as a great dirt pedal platform (customized IR of my own, some pre-lowcut and post re-gain).
- Vibro King on the NUX Amp Academy (not even 100% sure, didn't have the thing connected to the computer for I don't know how long...) for anything clean-ish.

Could use the Stomp for amps as well when fooling around at home, but I just never seem to feel like.

Back in the Helix Floor days I mainly also used 2:
- Princess for cleans (and slightly hairy), Cali IV Ch. before the Princess was released.
- 2204 Mod for all things dirty.

I seem to vastly prefer adding drives to an existing base sound, might be because I'm mainly a live player, so setting 1-2 baseline channels allows quick overall adjustments while at the same time sorta glueing all drive sounds together.

On Fractal FM3, pretty much one: 5F8 Tweed Bright (Keith Urban's '59 High Power Twin). I turn it way up and very bright and then control it from my guitars' knobs. I don't like it at all with the "stock" cab or SIC....much prefer it with Celestions (though there are a few I like). I haven't played one IRL...but, that's okay...the real amp is brutally loud.

I also like the Plexi 50W Jumped, which I'm pretty sure is a vintage version of a later 60s Plexi. I don't like the 1987x model (which is of a reissue), and prefer the 50Ws to the 100Ws for some reason. If I want a clean tone with the guitar volumes up, that's where I go first. Also with Celestion SIC and IRs, mostly greenbacks.

The Tucana is also fantastic (clean channel with the gain all the way up for me). There are a few SICs and IRs I like with it. FWIW, I prefer it to the Dumble models for that kind of smoother sound, but I also don't particularly like any of the Dumble or clone models that happen to be in the Fractal....I've played a couple different clones IRL that I did like a lot.

The AC30 models are also cool, but for whatever reason, I don't use them all that often. Strongly prefer Greenbacks to Alnico Blues both IRL and SIC/IR.

The Brit Silver model (which is of a boutique clone of a Silver Jubilee, but only the lead channel) is good. I wish they'd modeled the other settings/channels. I've only played one real 1987 Silver Jubilee, but I really liked the clean channel with the rhythm clip more than the lead channel. IRL and SIC/IRs, prefer Vintage 30s....but I haven't tried many IRL. EV SIC/IRs also sound good in the Fractal.

I don't like any of the Fender Brown/Black/Silver face amps in the Fractal. But, I'm not as big of a fan of them as Tweeds or Marshalls IRL either.

There are a handful of others that I've enjoyed playing with. But, I prefer those 5...and really, I play that 1 well over 95% of the time.

My absolute favorite amps IRL have been Tweed clones, Marshall clones, the Silver Jubilee, or one of the Dumble clones. FWIW.

Stumbled upon the Capt. Hook in the Fractal last night (Preset 87). Pretty sure I never used that
one before. With a Telecaster and some pitchy bending it was :chef

Captain Hook is one of my favorites!

I have five presets going from left to right on my FM9 with my Jazz preset all the way to the left, a Band Commander next to it and then increasing in gain all the way to number five which is the Capt. Hook. I use that amp/preset with a little bit of reverb and delay for my lead tones because the gain sounds really natural on it.

I've been eyeing the real amp for a while. I learned about them when in The Netherlands attending the North Sea Jazz festival and have heard many clips of them.

Sadly, the last thing I need is another big iron head so my love for it will probably stay unrequited. Great amp block though, glad it found favor with another one of our crew.

A modeler is like a large tool box.
There are many tools to choose from,
but you only need a select few items to do most jobs.

joe pesci goodfellas GIF

What's the one where he's narrating at the end, and just as the shovel hits his head, it breaks his sentence? That's hilarious!
(But then it gets pretty brutal. :sofa)

For the Fractal stuff I use:

Friedman BE-100 C45
Friedman Smallpox
Diezel VH4
Diezel Herbert
JVM410HJS - new version sounds great!
JP-2C
Mark IV
Rectifier
Cameron
Revv