How loud do you listen to music?

James Freeman

Rock Star
I like about 60 SPL with Slow A-Weighting in the monitoring sweet spot.
I don't understand the 80-85 SPL recommendation which is way too loud to actually enjoy music and not suffer through it and annoy everyone around me.

I also note the position/number on the volume control for all my headphones to be equal in loudness to my monitors, that way I can prevent listening too loud which is not very good for the ears and an easy mistake when using headphones.

Last edited:
the 80/855dB SPL reference comes form mixing guidelines (for the movie industry) like dolby, ebu or itu, is a calibration level (-20dbFS pink noise = 85dB spl C weight on a single speaker for example ) and is related to the fletcher munson curves and the need for high dynamic range.

you can listen to music at whatever level makes you comfortable.

Last edited:
Depends; on the way to and from work I’m usually blaring something, even if it’s a chill song. The only times I really listen to music quietly are when other people are around or when I’m mixing. Aside from that it’s probably 60% comfortable (70dB or so) volumes and 40% blaring.

It’s hard to listen to metal quietly.

65-70 dB according to my Apple watch, which is about conversation level.

I don't like to listen to loud music anymore. I have too much hearing damage and it hurts my ears.

The volume on my truck stereo seems to be linked to the gas pedal!
In many cars it is. As you accelerate, turns it up, when you decelerate automatically turns it down. Some half the volume when going in reverse, or just when sensors detect something behind you.

Last edited:
Loud enough that my watch tells me it’s too loud. Have to get the music over the ringing.

It varies for me. In the morning when my son is still sleeping, I try to keep it at low volume. During the day, if I'm working I keep it even lower, but if I'm not working, louder. In the car by myself, bloody-ear volume. Then, when I get in the car the next day it scares the crap out of me when the music kicks in at 100db when I start the car... :rofl

I listen to music loud. Good sound in my vehicles has always been a priority to me.

I do like to play reasonably loud at home too - I will feed music or backing tracks into my Fm9 and then play along to them amplified by my Friedman ASC10 most of the time...it’s loud, LOL.

I like to say my neighbors listen to great music - whether they like it or not. :rofl

probably way too loud, honestly. the good thing is that i don't listen that often and for that long, but i do tend to probably run at least 85-90dB most of the time. and i record at well over 100dB.

Shocked Bart Simpson GIF

Depends; on the way to and from work I’m usually blaring something, even if it’s a chill song. The only times I really listen to music quietly are when other people are around or when I’m mixing. Aside from that it’s probably 60% comfortable (70dB or so) volumes and 40% blaring.

It’s hard to listen to metal quietly.

This. If I’m listening to music it’s old school rap or metal and it’s loud.

2Pac or Suicidal Tendencies, or Crowbar or Down or Pantera.

I mostly listen with earbuds these days and try to keep the volume reasonable in my car. When I play guitar at home, I keep it around 80 dB, unless the wife isn't home, then I flirt with triple digits. Its amazing how something sounds so good when it is on the verge of destroying your hearing, lol.

Leonardo Dicaprio Summer GIF

I have to admit that is a lifelong, loud music listener… focusing on the skill of Mixing has recently caused me to want to listen at reasonable levels for a change.

But I grew up around live music which is frequently loud… And I expect my listing experiences to be as enjoyable as possible for me. That often means SPLs.

black and white man GIF

Back