How I Fixed Two Guitars...Adjusting Pickup Pole Pieces

Deadpan

Shredder
Vendor
Since picking up the Les Paul Classic with a 57 Classic Plus in the bridge I felt the pickup had too much lows, kinda boomy.

Did some Google searches and found some posts saying most issues with pickups can be fixed with adjusting the height and pole pieces.

Height is something I always set but I never set the height pretty low and adjusted the pole pieces for output.

Well, it greatly improved the 57 Plus, it didn't change it's character, just made it a bit more balanced.

I also have a JP6 that I never liked as it was a bit wooly and undefined in the lows, applied the same here and saw an improvement.

Some food for thought.

Last edited:
Since picking up the Les Paul Classic with a 57 Classic Plus in the bridge I felt the pickup had too much lows, kinda boomy.

Did some Google searches and found some posts saying most issues with pickups can be fixed with adjusting the height and pole pieces.

Height is something I always set but I never set the height pretty low and adjusted the pole pieces for output.

Well, it greatly improved the 57 Plus, it didn't change it's character, just made it a bit more balanced.

I also have a JP6 that I never liked as it was a bit wooly and undefined in the lows, applied the same here and saw an improvement.

Some food for thought.
Pics, it would be interesting to see how low. I have tried this and don't find it particularly helpful but clearly you do.

Pics, it would be interesting to see how low. I have tried this and don't find it particularly helpful but clearly you do.
Sure!

20230210_105925.jpg

I hated the ‘61 Burstbuckers that came in my LP and was ready to replace them when someone suggested this to me. It completely changed the sound of them and I still have them in the guitar.

I also flipped the bridge pickup around so the pole pieces are on the inside and this really made a difference too.

I hated the ‘61 Burstbuckers that came in my LP and was ready to replace them when someone suggested this to me. It completely changed the sound of them and I still have them in the guitar.

I also flipped the bridge pickup around so the pole pieces are on the inside and this really made a difference too.
I was about to go on a puckup hunt before discovering it. The 57+ has more high end than the Godwood in my main guitar but it is just as sweet sounding now.

I had a feeling many were thinking I was imagining the difference haha.

Excellent trick to make a boomy/muddy neck pickup less boomy/muddy.

Back