How Do I Find A Great Luthier?

Just changed strings and I noticed the first signs of some fret wear on my SS frets. Whew, I've been playing the s**t out of this guitar. Coming up on 4 years old I think.
Anyway, what tips can you share to find a really good luthier for when I need to deal with these frets? I know a guy who works at PRS and another who used to work at Knaggs, so I'll ask them, but anything else that could help me find one?
start with posting where you are, and see if any local people can make recommendations.

start with posting where you are, and see if any local people can make recommendations.
exactly, where are you located? are you willing to send it? Steve Morrill in Boxborough is the only guy that has touched my guitars since 2001
the guy is a wizard

I'm in a similar boat. I need to get my Strat refretted and have some work done on my Tele as well. I've got two local shops that have excellent reputations that I'll plan to check out in person with the guitar and make sure they're on the up and up.

I've swung and missed on two different shops so far. First time I brought my 20+ year old Strat in to get it evaluated for either a fret level with new nut or a full refret, and he ended up doing a basic setup on it because "it looked fine" (even though the frets have been worn way down from the original medium jumbo). Second time I brought a guitar in that was choking out on bends above the 12th fret and the sustain sucked...again, they did a basic setup that didn't even fix the issue with bends.

I'm in a similar boat. I need to get my Strat refretted and have some work done on my Tele as well. I've got two local shops that have excellent reputations that I'll plan to check out in person with the guitar and make sure they're on the up and up.

I've swung and missed on two different shops so far. First time I brought my 20+ year old Strat in to get it evaluated for either a fret level with new nut or a full refret, and he ended up doing a basic setup on it because "it looked fine" (even though the frets have been worn way down from the original medium jumbo). Second time I brought a guitar in that was choking out on bends above the 12th fret and the sustain sucked...again, they did a basic setup that didn't even fix the issue with bends.

you can send them to Steve, the guy is the best , he's done several refrets , recently on an Ibanez 7620 here's a pic, plays like a brand new guitar.
he's got one of mine there now restoring a japan only release RG2560MZEX to it's natural beauty

IMG_4279.jpg

Well it looks (sounds) like I can't put it off too much longer. As I was playing, I hit a note, and it made a sound so similar to when my batteries need changing that it made me look to see if the LED was on. Nope. Then I realized it was just one particular note.

I guess I finally rubbed off just enough molecules of stainless steel at that location to lower the string just a nm more, that it buzzed on the fret above it. I couldn't visually see any wear, but when I rubbed the edge of my pick across it, I could feel a slight dip. And in many areas, the frets look a bit flat on top.

So for a guitar at this stage, do they just file down all the frets to the lowest one, then round them all over, so that everything is back to new, with the only difference being that all the frets are now just slightly lower?

Back