Helix 3.8 - Sidechained gate pretty please!

What do you guys think of this idea?:

Add a parameter in the input block where you choose after which block the gate -well- gates. It would still be triggered directly by the (instrument) input. This could work in tandem with a little indicator in the path that shows the gate working.

So instead of using a gate block with side chain we would just use the input block's gate but select where it gates. Feels like an easy and intuitive solution to me.
Yeah, that's what I said up there.

That would be interesting! Where did you see that? That is THE gate for me on the helix but I didn’t think it picked up the detector different than any other.
I don't remember where I originally read (or inferred) the Horizon gate was side-chained to the Helix input. I tried to locate the "source" of that information and came up empty.

I do recall reading it online and then immediately adding the gate as the first (HX Stomp) effect in the effects loop of my Mark VII and loving the result.

Now that I am unable to locate the source in my browsing history, my confidence in my previous statement has been undermined.

:sofa

Regardless, it works extremely well in the Mk VII loop. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:beer

I don't remember where I originally read (or inferred) the Horizon gate was side-chained to the Helix input. I tried to locate the "source" of that information and came up empty.

I do recall reading it online and then immediately adding the gate as the first (HX Stomp) effect in the effects loop of my Mark VII and loving the result.

Now that I am unable to locate the source in my browsing history, my confidence in my previous statement has been undermined.

:sofa

Regardless, it works extremely well in the Mk VII loop. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:beer
Yeah, it isn't ;) HZ Gate is detected at its input like all the other gates

Side chain to a Return input would be interesting, so you can chain a gate/compressor from a kick drum aux send from a desk. (handy for bass in a live band setting).

What do you guys think of this idea?:

Add a parameter in the input block where you choose after which block the gate -well- gates. It would still be triggered directly by the (instrument) input. This could work in tandem with a little indicator in the path that shows the gate working.

So instead of using a gate block with side chain we would just use the input block's gate but select where it gates. Feels like an easy and intuitive solution to me.

Excellent, especially in case it wouldn't use another block.

I had a Kemper before my Helix floor, and the noise gate on it just slays the ones in the Helix.

It’s rather disappointing how freaking EASY it is to create super high gain/tight metal and Djent chug tones on the Kemper, and how miserably difficult it is on the Helix.

With the Kemper, I’d find a high gain amp profile, adjust the definition or gain (if needed,) and turn the level up or down on the noise gate.

And the Kemper noise gate works just as good (perhaps even better,) than the ISP Decimator.

With the Kemper noise gate, there is NO fizz whatsoever after you stop playing. There is also no hiss or fizz WHILE you are holding out chords or playing high gain.

Perhaps it’s because the high gain profiles are superior to the high gain amp models in the Helix?

I don’t know.

I LOVE the Helix’s user interface, its fx routing, list of effects, tweakability, damn near everything!

But it’s a pain in the ass to get a stellar thrash/metal tight sound.

I’m so sick of having to do an input gate, then a pre-EQ to cut bass, then pick the amp, then put a noise gate after the amp, then sort through a gazillion cabs and mic settings (or IRs,) then put in a post-EQ just to get the simple freaking tone of ONE Kemper amp profile and ONE noise gate.

Line 6, I love you…..and I hate you…
The Horizon gate is awesome for the tightness. The best gate is technique.

Back