Have You Ever Seen Harmonics In Action?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
I was driving once, and it was a very windy day, and the up/down bobbing of the telephone wires caught my attention.

But as I noticed something wasn't quite as I expected, I pulled over to watch them more closely, and sure enough, only the 'halves' of the lines were oscillating; The center was STATIONARY! True 1st harmonic in action. One up was up, while the other was down, then they'd reverse, like 2 mirrored-image sine waves. Sorta.

Since then, I've seen those lines exhibit a 2nd harmonic, where the end thirds are 'up', while the middle third is down, complete with 2 stationary nodes.

AND, I've also seen them exhibit something else that I don't know what it is: The lines were oscillating, just a simple sine wave (no harmonics), while at the same time, a wave passed through the wire, going from one pole to the other, then back again, like a ripple on a pond! THAT was cool AF!!

Is that like radio, and how it works using "carrier waves?"

Have you ever seen these types of things in real life?

200.gif

I did notice once that; intentionally losing a game of "Rock, Paper, Scissors" is every bit as difficult as trying to win.

:unsure:

Back