Guthrie Govan explains why he's switched to Axe-Fx digital modeling live on his latest tour

The real story is that the bass player depleted the gear shipping budget with his massive rig. :rofl
6rotzx.jpg

GG’s ultimate compliment to the current rig: it’s close enough. He used Kemper for years too, on the road with Hans Zimmer. I love that dude Guthrie, I think some of his first solo record inventions are jaw-dropping, but unfortunately with so little material on the web, most of what you see is master classes and other awkward digital contexts and his tone isn’t usually particularly stellar. We live in a weird age where some of the greatest guitarists in the world simply can’t hit the road with the weight and expense of traditional rigs. Julian Lage has talked about how Ron Ellis taught him to disassemble his telecaster for carry-on. Guthrie is actually a bit like Julian, monster technique and a level of self-scrutiny that is quite a burden to bear.

GG’s ultimate compliment to the current rig: it’s close enough. He used Kemper for years too, on the road with Hans Zimmer. I love that dude Guthrie, I think some of his first solo record inventions are jaw-dropping, but unfortunately with so little material on the web, most of what you see is master classes and other awkward digital contexts and his tone isn’t usually particularly stellar. We live in a weird age where some of the greatest guitarists in the world simply can’t hit the road with the weight and expense of traditional rigs. Julian Lage has talked about how Ron Ellis taught him to disassemble his telecaster for carry-on. Guthrie is actually a bit like Julian, monster technique and a level of self-scrutiny that is quite a burden to bear.

He is a monster, I have a huge respect for him, but he doesn't have a song catalogue worthy of his skills and persona, in terms of popularity.

What I mean is that he would need to join or form a big successful band (think dream theater with Petrucci, as a reference) to reach the level of success he really deserve as a player.

I guess he doesn't care.

Maybe it’s sacrilegious to say around here, but the tone in that (old) video is exactly what gives digital a bad name. I love that GG exists, his attitude, his self-deprecating humor, his gargantuan technique, and some of the guitar sounds on his debut solo album. But that dude is no tonemeister, sort of the opposite. Maybe people like it because the overuse of delay and easy over the top distortion remind bedroom players of their own drenched tones. But some of us kind of hold our noses, since there’s so much more on offer when that guy is playing. That clip has little or nothing to do with the words ‘Larry Carlton’. I’m not so much a fan of LC solo music, but the tones that guy will leave behind are pretty much benchmark. Same goes for R Ford. The videos of them on stage together sort of set the bar for what a huge swath of tone disciples have been chasing forever, whatever gear they’re using. And the truth is that there are a ton of YouTube clips were far less talented guitarists get way closer to those kind of tones using Ceriatone clones, Ethos and Zen Drives, etc, and more recently every digital thing too. I’ll regret putting this rant out there, since I really am a fan of that British wizard, but definitely not of his tone.

Maybe it’s sacrilegious to say around here, but the tone in that (old) video is exactly what gives digital a bad name. I love that GG exists, his attitude, his self-deprecating humor, his gargantuan technique, and some of the guitar sounds on his debut solo album. But that dude is no tonemeister, sort of the opposite. Maybe people like it because the overuse of delay and easy over the top distortion remind bedroom players of their own drenched tones. But some of us kind of hold our noses, since there’s so much more on offer when that guy is playing. That clip has little or nothing to do with the words ‘Larry Carlton’. I’m not so much a fan of LC solo music, but the tones that guy will leave behind are pretty much benchmark. Same goes for R Ford. The videos of them on stage together sort of set the bar for what a huge swath of tone disciples have been chasing forever, whatever gear they’re using. And the truth is that there are a ton of YouTube clips were far less talented guitarists get way closer to those kind of tones using Ceriatone clones, Ethos and Zen Drives, etc, and more recently every digital thing too. I’ll regret putting this rant out there, since I really am a fan of that British wizard, but definitely not of his tone.

I’ve never dug his tones, which is rare for me because I dig almost every guitar tone. It’s just about enough to keep me from really digging into his music, which is a bummer because I’m certainly aware of his talent.

It’s like dry toast with powdered butter.

I’ve never dug his tones, which is rare for me because I dig almost every guitar tone. It’s just about enough to keep me from really digging into his music, which is a bummer because I’m certainly aware of his talent.

It’s like dry toast with powdered butter.
I actually prefer Guthrie when he’s either used a Strat or a Tele. His signature guitar has it’s own voicing going on.

Years ago I read the “story“ of the making of his first record. The producer basically stepped in and said all these guitars need to be re-recorded and I think that was the beginning of his relationship with Victory amps. Obviously fuzzy on the details and I’m not gonna go back and read it, but it did sound as if there was someone really looking out for his tones. It’s kind of admirable that he’s not obsessed with it, but for the end-listener it could be better.

Years ago I read the “story“ of the making of his first record. The producer basically stepped in and said all these guitars need to be re-recorded and I think that was the beginning of his relationship with Victory amps. Obviously fuzzy on the details and I’m not gonna go back and read it, but it did sound as if there was someone really looking out for his tones. It’s kind of admirable that he’s not obsessed with it, but for the end-listener it could be better.
Good tone is relative. I just prefer some of the stuff Guthrie’s done on a Strat or with a Tele style guitar.

For me 335 Fusion tones with a Dumble are probably some of my least favorite.

Last edited:
The tones I’m talking about are fat, clean brink of edge of breakup, idealized Fender vibes but with zero ice picks and somehow a ton of sustain. There are plenty of cheesy 80s records out there, but those aren’t on my radar. Live, many of the famous Dumbles are about cleans, and a lot of single coils in play too.

I use single coils like 95 percent of the time. The vintage lawsuit 335 I have has incredible humbuckers. The modern fancy axe I’ve owned for a little less than two years and have failed to bond with, that one has boutique, splittable humbuckers … and they kind of bum me out.

So yeah you may be right about GG’s guitar, or its electronics. But I still think he could dial back the amount of distortion and delay probably by 70%, or more, and come across as an even more badass guitarist than he already does, if that’s possible.

Tones may be relative, but not in the minds or ears of the guitarists who are committed to chasing it. GG’s taste may preclude ever getting where I’d want it, but in as much as it is about gear, I wish that he was a bit more committed to the chase.

The tones I’m talking about are fat, clean brink of edge of breakup, idealized Fender vibes but with zero ice picks and somehow a ton of sustain.
I believe those generally come from really cranking up an amp then rolling off the volume knob at the guitar until it finds that range.

“Big cleans”

Tones may be relative, but not in the minds or ears of the guitarists who are committed to chasing it.
To me tone is relative in a couple of ways. One is subjective preference to the overall outcome of a tone. The second is whether it is occurring in isolation or in relation to another set of sounds. Which ties back into subjective interpretation of the outcome of a given tone. So chasing a tone to me is pretty context driven. Which may or may not be the same for you.

Back