Guitar string tension by brand?

pipelineaudio

Shredder
Does anyone know a reliable source for string tension per diameter for electric strings by brand? I’ve seen ones for specific brands before and generally they’re pretty close but I’m hoping to find some much higher tension strings for the same diameter like you can with acoustic and ukulele strings

I put some Rotosound R10 Roto Yellows Electric Guitar Strings (10/46) on mine and the tension was way stiffer than my usual D'Addarios. Took a while to get used to. No intention to continue using them. Back to the 'ddarios for me.

Looks like Elixir is about a pound more tension per the same pitch than the stringjoy strings. I wish Dadarrio would put their calculator back up...its been "coming soon" for like 5 years now

I‘d rather string makers labeled their strings with linear density instead of gauge. Gauge doesn’t tell you the tension you’ll need to tune to a frequency but linear density does.

Last edited:
Steve Brule GIF

I‘d rather string makers labeled their strings with density instead of gauge. Gauge doesn’t tell you the tension you’ll need to tune to a frequency but density does.
For me, I want a lot of tension in a smaller gauge. My E is a 38, and to get tension close for my drop A its a 58 which is a hell of a jump and feels weird to play

I got a set of great 16 dollar digital dial calipers off of Amazon. Turns out this ten speed gearshift cable I found is the diameter of a 52 string. It’s wound steel. I am very tempted to clamp it in my Floyd

Back