Guitar Lessons, Tips, Techniques, Etc. Online on YouTube or elsewhere? Reading, charts, videos and whatnot.

Abe

Groupie
I'm really no better of a guitar player now as I turn 44 than I was when I was 19 really. Intermediate as far as what sounds I can sometimes make, yet not even really that when I consider my limited understanding of music theory terminology etc as I play by feel and by ear and can't always explain the logic I use to hear something in mind I'd like to try playing. I play in mostly an improvised way and recognize sounds via their relation to the sounds before and after. I'll reach for a note or strike a chord yet rarely am I identifying the note or chord or scale or arpeggio by name. So I have a good ear and I understand what sounds right via what's not logical noise.

Every sibling in my family could play some basic open chords by like age 8 as my Dad wanted a bunch of little musicians. Past that everything I became able to do just came from my experimenting fueled somewhat by musical influence and inspiration. Wanting to become unstuck and proceed with new momentum I've recently been reading and watching videos online to try and advance my understanding and abilities. I don't want to be mindlessly flailing my fingers around what is just merely in key. And I don't want to be placing my fingers just where they are inclined to go, because that could just be called lazy. No paid subscriptions or anything, just whatever is free that may help me a bit.

Wondering if anyone here is familiar with YouTube channels, charts, websites or anything else online that legitimately helps them some as a guitar player.

Thanks.

🎸

🎶

Not sure how popular he is here ...but I have to say, Rick Beato's free online stuff has helped me immensely.

That along with my guitar grimoire books for reference, it helps me connect to the theory, in a very digestible way.

There are a plethora of great instructional players on the tube, Tim Bukovac, Tim Pierce, etc ..

Yeah Ben for technique.

But if your goal is to understand how music goes together, and why things sound the way they do, which is what I'm gleaning from your post, then I can't recommend Signals Music Studio enough.

And if you really want to do it, you've got to work through it, and follow what this guy says. He not only knows what he's doing (lots of people do, but suck at teaching it), but more importantly he knows how to explain it.

This

61jXXohMDnL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

+

“mindlessly flailing my fingers around what is just merely in key”

=

Me to a T.

Back when I first started I was into books and tab, but I've always been more of a listener and then work it out on my own kind of player. I feel like I'm more interested in what a musician is playing rather than how they're playing it. I also think listening to all kinds of music helps make you a better player imo, and less likely to get in a rut. Experiment, come up with your own formulas, scale ideas, but ultimately think melodically like someone singing and find the notes on guitar. It's hard for me to pinpoint a good source of learning except for listening to great players of all kinds and being inspired by what is heard -- and then hopefully come up with something unique to ourselves out of those experiences.

Back when I first started I was into books and tab, but I've always been more of a listener and then work it out on my own kind of player. I feel like I'm more interested in what a musician is playing rather than how they're playing it.

Exactly the same here. Which is why I never play transcriptions (unless I'm forced, which was only when playing a handful of gigs and during my music university years) and also pretty much never try to play patterns as played by others.
Brewing my own has always been my main fascination with music and playing guitar - with some decent understanding of the backgrounds, though.

I'm really no better of a guitar player now as I turn 44 than I was when I was 19 really. …
I was actually better when I was 19 than I am now.

I recently started taking lessons via Skype from a nice fellow in the Dallas music scene. I wanted to just get back into writing my own stuff. I know a lot of the theory but never really applied it. I’m practicing daily again and actually enjoying it.

My one bud took lessons from a YouTube guy and apparently he would just spend an hour entertaining himself while my friend wondered where his money went. So, you definitely have to find the right guy.

Back