Green Eyed Stripper - Thrash Metal Sugarloaf Cover (very raw)

Lopp

Roadie
@TSJMajesty thought a metal version Sugarloaf's Green Eyed Lady would sound cool, so I took a stab at thrashifying it.

Qualifier: It is pretty much raw scratch tracks that I put together over the past few days, so don't expect tight playing or production. (We are going to the hospital to induce labor for my wife tomorrow night, so I don't know when I will work on it again).

Guitars were EBMM Majesty 7 into FM9 Austin Buddy ENGL Savage and AmpliTube Recto.
Intro solo guitar bends were PRS CE24 into FM9 Plexi.
Bass was Spector ReBop into FM9 Darkglass B7K and Ampeg SVT.
Drums were EZDrummer Drums of Destruction.
No vocals. You wouldn't want to hear me sing anyways.

[EDIT: Sugarloaf, not Sugarleaf. Green Eyed Lady, not Green Eyed Girl. Doh!]

Last edited:
Nice! We used to play this song (minus the thrash reimaging) and that d@mn walk up bend theme would always drive me nuts because I could hear myself never quite bending perfectly every time :cuss :rofl You did good with this. When I saw the thrash part in the title; I thought you might bust out the polka beats and play that main riff to that :satan This has a cool kind of Nuclear Assault vibe or something? Dig it! \m/

This is one time I do wish I had a DAW, because in addition to metalizing GEL, I also have it in my head to take its prog elements (of which you can really hear in the unedited version) and build on them.

I think it would sound cool AF to introduce some syncopation into the main riff, maybe even going so far as to drop a beat, or half beat, every other time, and write it with the pedal notes being all over the place, rhythmically, from the syncopation. Then really go wild with the prog during the bridge part. (Or whatever you would call it the original version.)

I figure with a DAW, I could write the parts piecemeal, with notes where I think they'd work, then fill in between. Either way, I've just always thought the song has a cool musicality to it, that would respond well to a modern, prog remake.

This is one time I do wish I had a DAW, because in addition to metalizing GEL, I also have it in my head to take its prog elements (of which you can really hear in the unedited version) and build on them.

I think it would sound cool AF to introduce some syncopation into the main riff, maybe even going so far as to drop a beat, or half beat, every other time, and write it with the pedal notes being all over the place, rhythmically, from the syncopation. Then really go wild with the prog during the bridge part. (Or whatever you would call it the original version.)

I figure with a DAW, I could write the parts piecemeal, with notes where I think they'd work, then fill in between. Either way, I've just always thought the song has a cool musicality to it, that would respond well to a modern, prog remake.

I’d be willing to bet if you got yourself a DAW, within two weeks you’d like a kid in a candy store with it. Doooooo it!

I’d be willing to bet if you got yourself a DAW, within two weeks you’d like a kid in a candy store with it. Doooooo it!
I'm sure. But I'm not done yet. :rawk

Oh, and I know, just like you've said about recording, there's no such thing as 'done.' Just not ready to say, "That's enough" yet.

I'm sure. But I'm not done yet. :rawk

Oh, and I know, just like you've said about recording, there's no such thing as 'done.' Just not ready to say, "That's enough" yet.

Hahahah don’t worry, you’ll still have to practice plenty if you got a DAW, the more stuff you write, eventually something comes along that you have to practice before you can track it right!

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Also, thanks to everyone familiar with the band and song for not pointing out the typos in the band and song name. Musta been half-asleep when posting. I fixed them in the OP.

Happy Undercover Brother GIF

Nice! We used to play this song (minus the thrash reimaging) and that d@mn walk up bend theme would always drive me nuts because I could hear myself never quite bending perfectly every time :cuss :rofl You did good with this. When I saw the thrash part in the title; I thought you might bust out the polka beats and play that main riff to that :satan This has a cool kind of Nuclear Assault vibe or something? Dig it! \m/

Thanks. That's cool you covered Green Eyed Lady. I spent a little extra time on those bends, as they were a challenge. You can really hear the "beats" when the bent note doesn't match the held note when played without the backing track. Originally, I used a cool high gain John Petrucci Axe-Fx III patch from @TSJMajesty , but had a challenge controlling string noise on those bends, so I switched to a lower gain Plexi model to hide the flubs better.

"Nuclear Assault vibe." That works for me! Otherwise, this stuff is likely most influenced by Flotsam and Jetsam's "The End of Chaos," especially Ken Mary's drum playing and tone. Although, I usually mix drums too hot, because I love the punch. I also wish I could easily figure out Michael Spencer's bass tone on that album, but will settle for what I have right now.

I'm with @DrewJD82 : Doooooo it! Mainly because I want to hear your interpretation with the prog elements and main riff syncopation.

That aside, I do like what you are doing just focusing on your technique. Songwriting, arranging, and recording is such a rabbit hole.

I also want to hear @JiveTurkey record an interpretation with polka beats. ;)

Back