GM800 initial thoughts

The tracking is about the same between it and the GR55. GR55 is still dialed in a hair better for me but it's super close. There are more parameters to mold and shape the performance of that stuff now. Which is helpful. Pianos I would say are a hair better. The best tracking is 100% the SY1000. If they could have made PCM tones track like the dynamic synths do in the SY1000; that would be the ultimate, imo.
Of course you know the SY1000 tracks so well because the sounds are modelled HRM stuff where the guitar string as an osc is reshaped, except the osc synth which appears to be a triggered sample. I've learned recently now that there is software that models acoustic instruments such as piano, violin sax etc. When I first heard the GM800 piano, I thought great, they're finally using modeling technology for acoustic orchestral instruments, but no.

Wonder way Roland didn t go with that modeling tech instead of the PCM sample Snippets?

Of course you know the SY1000 tracks so well because the sounds are modelled HRM stuff where the guitar string as an osc is reshaped, except the osc synth which appears to be a triggered sample. I've learned recently now that there is software that models acoustic instruments such as piano, violin sax etc. When I first heard the GM800 piano, I thought great, they're finally using modeling technology for acoustic orchestral instruments, but no.

Wonder way Roland didn t go with that modeling tech instead of the PCM sample Snippets?
Probably easier to recycle stuff and stick it in a new box then to create new methods? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back