GM800 initial thoughts

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
Not sure if I should break it out into a separate thread. Work has been in avalanche mode and I haven't whipped up a thread in a while so why not?

First impressions:
So much goldilocks on the form factor. LOVE the size. Much more reasonable on the board real estate.

Tones are total Roland city. Obviously. Duh. Got a brass preset cooking. Not quite in the realm of my eternal GR55 cheese brass that works perfect. But closing in. Sax's, organs and pianos are all very good. More synthesized stuff (as opposed to "realistic" sounds) are really good. A lot of the sounds seem very DRY and gated. I'm going to dig into the nuance settings at some point soon as well as seeing about wetting things down a bit. Tracking (using the converter and a GK3) are in between the GR55 PCM sounds and SY1000 Dynamic Synths; I'd say?

Again; not sure how much benefit the GK5 will be over the converter. I am also using a standard TRS from the converter to the GM. Not sure if buying an official Boss cable will matter on this as well. I haven't boxed it back up; so that's a semi-good sign :rofl

I know there is some justified grumbling on the lack of magnetic pickup audio and control on the GK5 but as I sit here re-remembering for the bazillionth time not to set that goddamn GK3 pickup selector slider switch to anything other than mix; I am 1000% glad they are pulling the regular pickup signal out of the chain and just concentrating on the synth side.

It's a keeper for sure. I seriously doubt there's any difference between the GK-5 or GK-3 + GKC-AD in terms of tracking.

It's a keeper for sure. I seriously doubt there's any difference between the GK-5 or GK-3 + GKC-AD in terms of tracking.
I have the GK incoming at some point. I probably need to do a shootout. Before the Amazon return period is up :bag

I have the Trumpets dialed in even better now. I'm going keep plugging away. Its like 1/3 the size of the GR. So much more manageable.

I have the GK incoming at some point. I probably need to do a shootout. Before the Amazon return period is up :bag

I have the Trumpets dialed in even better now. I'm going keep plugging away. Its like 1/3 the size of the GR. So much more manageable.
I look forward to your charts proving me wrong lol.

After much technical pain has been endured these last few months, it's just so gratifying to read that something is going well in JT land for once 🙂
calm down amber tamblyn GIF by Talk Stoop

That sounds really close. Very nice!
No slide-ins/outs though, you need to play the 200 64th notes like they actually do.
Yeah biggest things are the endings on these bits. It isn't fast enough to do any sort of blinding run and you don't have any sort of expressiveness (like something you hear on the Urgent sax part, for instance). So you do a slide out and it sounds like Lisa Simpson :wat :rofl

Back