Gibson Has Their Lawyers Out Again...

Doesn't DiMarzio hold a patent on asymmetric wind humbuckers ?

:unsure:

I always thought that trademark was stupid so I’m not going to bust Gibson’s balls. If it had anything to do with the sound of the pickup, I’d feel differently. I think it does more to perturb guitarists than it does protect anything of value.

The whole thing about bobbin colors being black or cream was purely an accident anyways. The bobbin manufacturers ran out of black ink used to dye the bobbins, so they started shipping them to Gibson un-dyed. Their natural color was cream.

The pickup winders would simply dump the cream bobbins into large bins next to each winding station, mixing them with the black bobbins because no one was ever going to see them as all pickups had a cover soldered over them.

The winders would randomly grab bobbins out of these bins to make humbuckers.

Zebra bobbins showed up for a while, until the supply of black bobbins was completely exhausted, then for a short time you saw double-cream.

The black ink became available again and the process occurred again.. except in reverse, until all bobbins were again black.

I truly hope Gibson win this one.

I love double cream on les pauls and hate that I had to buy aftermarket pups just because a stupid tm.

1702309019497.png

I dunno what’s worse; making some giant bad decision that fucks up your entire life but people can side with “Ah, that’s not that funny to bust balls about”, or doing something like the video above, that’s really not life threatening in any way and allows ample room for ridicule for year’s to come.

Wildwood's Gibson Custom Shop inventory of Les Pauls.

259 listed with an average price of about $9K.
You're selling boatloads of premium priced guitars along with metric tons more budget friendly models all over the planet and making zillions of dollars in the process - and you're picking fights over bobbins?

Wildwood's Gibson Custom Shop inventory of Les Pauls.

259 listed with an average price of about $9K.
You're selling boatloads of premium priced guitars along with metric tons more budget friendly models all over the planet and making zillions of dollars in the process - and you're picking fights over bobbins?
well duh, it's all about the dollar bill.

is
Gorgeous guitars.

Thank you, I loved them both.

Left one is a 2016 Standard T* with a set of bare knuckle rebel yell.
RIght one is a 2014 Traditional with a set of bare knuckle abraxas and modified electronics (I've added coil splitting and phase reverse)

I've sold them when the historic bug hit me.

*T at the time, when Henry was still in charge, meant that had the usual nut width and the usual (at the time) pcb electronics, no tuner.

Well, from a customer point of view, I'd love to see Les Pauls with double cream pickups in their catalogue.

I have 2 R8 and an R7 and I would have 100% bought the R8s with cream bobbins if available.
I'm happy with their pickups and since the reissues are not cheap guitars I'm not inclined to modify them (at least not yet).

I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Well, from a customer point of view, I'd love to see Les Pauls with double cream pickups in their catalogue.

I have 2 R8 and an R7 and I would have 100% bought the R8s with cream bobbins if available.
I'm happy with their pickups and since the reissues are not cheap guitars I'm not inclined to modify them (at least not yet).

I'm sure I'm not alone in this.
That has nothing to do with the trademark. The trademark is JUST about the name. Nothing is preventing anyone (like, say, Barenuckle who despite being a UK maker sells the same stuff in the US) from making pickups that have cream bobbins, its just preventing folks from calling them "double cream" or whatever the stupid trademark is. Gibson just isn't remotely cool enough to sell guitars that look like yours, unfortunately.

On the one hand, I'm fine with Gibson doing this. It's basically the opposite of all their other lawsuits in that it attempts to make sure what belongs in the public domain is given to the public. And for "PAF" I get it, because while DiMarzio might not be out suing Throbak or any other pickup maker that puts "P.A.F." in their pickup names they MIGHT just try to do it to Gibson. And if anyone should have the right to include P.A.F. in the name of their pickups, it's Gibson. And if you're going to pay the lawyer bills to kill the "P.A.F." trademark, might as well pay them to kill any other ludicrous marks DiMarzio holds.

But the contrarian in me still just wants to be annoyed with Gibson for spending money on lawyering that is pretty pointless and just adds more pennies to each guitar sold.

That has nothing to do with the trademark. The trademark is JUST about the name. Nothing is preventing anyone (like, say, Barenuckle who despite being a UK maker sells the same stuff in the US) from making pickups that have cream bobbins, its just preventing folks from calling them "double cream" or whatever the stupid trademark is. Gibson just isn't remotely cool enough to sell guitars that look like yours, unfortunately.

On the one hand, I'm fine with Gibson doing this. It's basically the opposite of all their other lawsuits in that it attempts to make sure what belongs in the public domain is given to the public. And for "PAF" I get it, because while DiMarzio might not be out suing Throbak or any other pickup maker that puts "P.A.F." in their pickup names they MIGHT just try to do it to Gibson. And if anyone should have the right to include P.A.F. in the name of their pickups, it's Gibson. And if you're going to pay the lawyer bills to kill the "P.A.F." trademark, might as well pay them to kill any other ludicrous marks DiMarzio holds.

But the contrarian in me still just wants to be annoyed with Gibson for spending money on lawyering that is pretty pointless and just adds more pennies to each guitar sold.

Quoting form the link in first post:

DiMarzio’s double cream trademark isn’t a wordmark. Instead, it covers the “double design” of a pickup (IE, an open humbucker), with both bobbins being “the colour yellow which resembles the distinctive shade of cream.” This trademark was granted in 1981 with its first use in commerce listed as 1974.

Back