GC Trade In VS Reverb

I like to keep the world's separated. The best of both is likely found in NOT mixing them up. :beer

I’m quite content with running pedals into Fractal amps, it’s just the footprint of the FM9 being so big that adding pedals to a board with it would be ridiculous. I can go for an FM3 but I feel I’m getting a bit redundant and might as well just go for an actual amp. I’ll still plug the FM9 into real cabs every chance I get.

For the last time, putting something in the FX loop that has a way to attenuate/roll back volume is not the same
as an attenuator. It just isn't.

:hmm

All you are doing in that scenario is limiting the volume going TO the power amp section from the preamp. It has
ZERO bearing on the Power amp and attenuating the Amplifier. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Nothing.

Just ask Dave Friedman. He'll tell ya. :LOL:
Sounds like you've done both, how would you describe the tonal difference between power attenuation and volume attenuation (pedal in FX loop)?

Sounds like you've done both, how would you describe the tonal difference between power attenuation and volume attenuation (pedal in FX loop)?

The FX Loop volume attenuation has been discussed ad nauseam on Gear Forums. Please don't make me. :LOL:

Pretty sure there are dozens of threads on the topic on EVERY forum related to guitars and amps.

There is some quasi-snake oil to the notion that you can stick a volume pot/potentiometer into any Amp
with an FX Loop and get something you can't get with the Master Volume and Channel Volume
controls on the front of an amp. We an use any device with a volume pot on it. Rack EQ/Compressor,
or any one of the many little Black Boxes that are just 2 1/4" jacks and a Potentiometer in between
them.

Or just... uhmmmm... turn down the Channel Volume on the amp itself, and then turn the Master up. :wat

Literally.... no difference than what the amp already has. It's just adding another Master Volume to
amps that already have them. Maybe you can get finer increments than you could otherwise, but it
is still not cooking that Power Amp and opening it up to roar and then attenuating the volume between
the amp and the speaker.

If that was confusing :LOL: .... those FX Loop Volume attenuators are performing the
exact same function as the Channel Volume on a Master Volume Amp. No real difference
in sound---unless Fletcher Munson has been invited to the listening party.

Traditional Power Attenuators are actually doing some heavy lifting and taking on a
bunch of heat from a totally cooking amp, and then dumping that heat/volume into a
sort of sink so you and your ears don't die.

One of them actually does a thing, and the other makes you think it does a thing.

Cool, wasn't being snarky, I was genuinely interested in your thoughts. The YT'ers that use the FX Loop to pull back the volume (thinking TPS and their episodes on taming the Hot Rod Deluxe) seem to sing it's praises, but maybe they aren't going for power tube distortion, just decent tone at lower volumes. :idk
I believe every amp has a sweet spot - a certain volume it needs to be to sound its best. I will rarely run anything higher than a 15w amp at my house, whereas I rarely gig with anything less than 40w. Personally, I've never used an attenuator, never had to put a pedal in the loop. I also realize not everyone is fortunate to have several amps to satisfy all the sweet spots. :chef

Cool, wasn't being snarky, I was genuinely interested in your thoughts. The YT'ers that use the FX Loop to pull back the volume (thinking TPS and their episodes on taming the Hot Rod Deluxe) seem to sing it's praises, but maybe they aren't going for power tube distortion, just decent tone at lower volumes. :idk
I believe every amp has a sweet spot - a certain volume it needs to be to sound its best. I will rarely run anything higher than a 15w amp at my house, whereas I rarely gig with anything less than 40w. Personally, I've never used an attenuator, never had to put a pedal in the loop. I also realize not everyone is fortunate to have several amps to satisfy all the sweet spots. :chef

Doesn't that amp have a notoriously finicky Master Volume? Like you can't hear it, and then HOLY FUCK!! "Turn that shit down!" :idk

In theory, I can see where one would potentially be handy to get finer detail with an added Volume control in the Loop.

But to suggest that is doing something different to the amp and you are getting power amp attenuation and this
new sound is just not possible using that tool.

And amen, to amps of many sizes and wattages. More amps is always the answer!! :beer

Yeah, doing that effects-loop volume "trick" with something like the SV20 is a waste of time, because all the drive comes from pushing the power-amp into distortion.
Limiting the level getting to the power-amp is exactly what the channel volume knobs do on the front of the amp.

Back