FM3 Board (New Fuzz Day)

Mongillo19

Rock Star
Threw the FM3 on a Nux board and wanted to take a spin with a fuzz face. Really enjoying this setup
PXL_20221209_194643755.jpg

Nice. I wondered how the FM takes dirt pedals. I always stayed in the box both times I had my FM3.

Nice. I wondered how the FM takes dirt pedals. I always stayed in the box both times I had my FM3.
Seems to take it just fine imo. Honestly I think the digital fuzz face is close enough but the actual pedal adds an extra thiccness to it that is addictive

And I wanted a pedal that was battery powered so id avoid an extra power supply

Seems to take it just fine imo. Honestly I think the digital fuzz face is close enough but the actual pedal adds an extra thiccness to it that is addictive
I bet. I can generally tone match the OCD and Klones that are in front of the stomp with stomp models of the same-ish thing. But there's still a difference, no matter how real or imagined it may be.

I haven’t had a lot of luck recreating fuzzes in Fractal-land, I think I’d have to dial one in using it with a specific amp dialed in a specific way for it to react the way I want it to.

I want one of the Hendrix FF’s, I’ve got the EJ and love it but I’m a Fuzz Face fanatic in general just because they look so damn cool, as impractical as the big enclosures are. The Hendrix FF is another one that I figure “I can wait until I see one dirt cheap“ because there are so many out there. I should know better than this, since the early 90’s Hendrix FF’s that sound like absolute garbage now sell for up to $400. I sold mine in high school for like $40. :rofl

Really well actually. I've got a couple of new Strymons (Compadre and Zelzah) that I have been playing into my Axe-Fx 3 and just selecting different amp models makes them behave quite differently. The boost on the Compadre is basically a treble boost, Tube Screamerish mid boost or flat boost and if I run it to a high output amp like a Mesa Lonestar model rather than say a Fender Princeton model the results are very different.

Reactions: JT
Really well actually. I've got a couple of new Strymons (Compadre and Zelzah) that I have been playing into my Axe-Fx 3 and just selecting different amp models makes them behave quite differently. The boost on the Compadre is basically a treble boost, Tube Screamerish mid boost or flat boost and if I run it to a high output amp like a Mesa Lonestar model rather than say a Fender Princeton model the results are very different.
I should say my question is related to the FM3 specifically with it's set impedance value?

I haven’t had a lot of luck recreating fuzzes in Fractal-land, I think I’d have to dial one in using it with a specific amp dialed in a specific way for it to react the way I want it to.

I want one of the Hendrix FF’s, I’ve got the EJ and love it but I’m a Fuzz Face fanatic in general just because they look so damn cool, as impractical as the big enclosures are. The Hendrix FF is another one that I figure “I can wait until I see one dirt cheap“ because there are so many out there. I should know better than this, since the early 90’s Hendrix FF’s that sound like absolute garbage now sell for up to $400. I sold mine in high school for like $40. :rofl

Have you ever tried making your own?

Back in the days before the boutique pedal boom the FF Dunlop made sounded like garbage and the only alternative was the Fulltone which cost a fortune, so I got into making my own.

It’s fun because you can select the parts and mods you want and you can make some really nice fuzz faces for around $50 or so in parts.

Have you ever tried making your own?

Back in the days before the boutique pedal boom the FF Dunlop made sounded like garbage and the only alternative was the Fulltone which cost a fortune, so I got into making my own.

It’s fun because you can select the parts and mods you want and you can make some really nice fuzz faces for around $50 or so in parts.

Not yet, but it’s in the plans! I found a company that sells blank FF enclosures, that’s the most expensive part! The boards are like $15 with the components, so I plan on snagging a few and then just finding out which transistors I dig the most. My goal is to have a small army of Fuzz Faces standing guard over the rest of my gear. :ROFLMAO:

Not yet, but it’s in the plans! I found a company that sells blank FF enclosures, that’s the most expensive part! The boards are like $15 with the components, so I plan on snagging a few and then just finding out which transistors I dig the most. My goal is to have a small army of Fuzz Faces standing guard over the rest of my gear. :ROFLMAO:

It’s a lot of fun!

FYI for when you start getting into that journey: you can buy sockets to solder to your board that will allow you to swap out transistors without soldering them. So you can experiment and find what you like best

I should say my question is related to the FM3 specifically with it's set impedance value?
I've tried the rest of my board to it and it also seemed to work just fine. The set impedance is basically the same 1M Ohm as if you plugged into a typical guitar amp. Fuzz pedals might be the only ones that would complain.

One thing I've noticed is that you can't push massive output to the FM3 input. And I do mean massive. I have a Hudson Broadcast clone that can be set from 9V to 27V with charge pump design and the 27V mode can be high enough output to plug directly into a poweramp. Pushing that into the FM3 just made it cut out all signal at the input. 9V mode no problem.

I may have also added a fuzz factory (find one local for sub $100 and couldn't say no)
Steve Urkel Oops GIF

Stopped at my local shop. They have the full size FF. I thought they had the mini. Going to let the idea marinate for a bit

Still convinced big pedals sound better. Electro Harmonic Deluxe Memory Man. Check. OG Big Muff. Check.

Have to give them electrons room to breathe! :lol

It’s true. I don’t understand why.

I remember when the small enclosure Big Muff came out and they said it was the exact same pedal just in a smaller enclosure. But it didn’t sound as good as the old big enclosure one.

Same with the Polychorus

Back