First gig with the MX5 went perfect.

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Straight to the return of my Spidervalve 2x12. Only thing I had to do to dial it in at this place was turn the presence way down on the Spidervalve. Most likely due to all the metal and concrete at the brewery where we played. Meshed perfectly in the mix with the band, sounded and felt great too. 3 patches total so not too bad considering the patch switching is latency free. Definitely squashed my HX Stomp GAS for the time being. Waiting for FW 2.5 though is tortuous now because I am really looking forward to what could be in it.

Very happy with the MX5 after a great gig with it. Only problem that cropped up at the gig was my wife who has been dealing with a head cold, pretty much lost her voice halfway through the final set and I had to sing the rest of the night. Luckily we had enough material in the coffer that I could sing to get us through it.

Funny little side note. I woke up yesterday and discovered that our new kitten (who loves tablets and phones) had somehow deleted 2 of my 3 patches on the MX5 that I use because I left it on and she likes to whack away at icons on touchscreens. I ended up deleting everything except the one patch she didn't delete herself and re-creating my other 2 patches. Seems the way to go on the MX5. Now all I have on the unit are those 3 patches, no factory stuff no nothing but those 3 patches. I say it seems the way to go because organizing patches on the MX5 is a exercise in chaos and futility if you need stuff in a certain order. Not any more.

Last edited:
Great to hear - regardless of our gear choice, it’s always great to hear when it works for us and the gig goes well.

Sorry to hear about the wife. I wish I was gigging with a singing wife - sounds like fun if you like each other, lol (which we do). (And wish I could sing myself). LOL.

How's the MX5 working out for you? Still happy with it? The new updates have prompted me to give it another try. I'm playing mostly bass and acoustic now anyway so it shouldn't be a. problem. Six scenes, too, have to try it again!

How's the MX5 working out for you? Still happy with it? The new updates have prompted me to give it another try. I'm playing mostly bass and acoustic now anyway so it shouldn't be a. problem. Six scenes, too, have to try it again!

Pretty good. it's my backup and it's a great one at that. The 6 scenes are a HUGE upgrade. Bit of a PITA to set them up but worth it.

I have the big pedalboard and I love using it with my acoustic. Much more than I did with my Stomp because of the extra blocks. Once you put an IR, a compressor, an EQ and a reverb in there, which are the bare necesseties for an acoustic patch IMO, that doesn't leave room for much else.

I have the big pedalboard and I love using it with my acoustic. Much more than I did with my Stomp because of the extra blocks. Once you put an IR, a compressor, an EQ and a reverb in there, which are the bare necesseties for an acoustic patch IMO, that doesn't leave room for much else.
Yeah that's another positive thing I have never hit any kind of DSP limit on the MX5.

Thanks, why an acoustic IR? Can't I just use the new acoustic preamp and go straight into the board with no IR? Thanks!

Thanks, why an acoustic IR? Can't I just use the new acoustic preamp and go straight into the board with no IR? Thanks!
You definitely could. But in my experience the acoustic preamp is just a flat EQ that doesn't really color the sound. I get a much more natural sound by using an IR block with an Acoustic IR early in the chain. I don't use it last in chain like I would a cab IR ;)

Pretty good. it's my backup and it's a great one at that. The 6 scenes are a HUGE upgrade. Bit of a PITA to set them up but worth it.
What are you using for your main setup? I love the six scenes but wish we could name them separately. Big oversight, hope it gets fixed.

You definitely could. But in my experience the acoustic preamp is just a flat EQ that doesn't really color the sound. I get a much more natural sound by using an IR block with an Acoustic IR early in the chain. I don't use it last in chain like I would a cab IR ;)
I am guessing thats what I have been dong wrong with the acoustic IR's I have. I have been putting them last in the chain and they all sound like crap to me.

Back