FENDER FR-12 SOUND ISSUE AFTER ASSEMBLY

rainierislas

Hi, I'm here to ask for your help with a problem I'm having with my Fender FR-12.

To give you some context, my amplifier was one of those affected by the hiss issue. I contacted my store, and they managed the warranty with Fender. Fender decided to replace my unit with a new one, since it's more complicated for them to have me send my amplifier for repairs as I'm in Mexico.

The thing is, the store gave me the good news, accompanied by another not-so-good news saying that to initiate the warranty process, it was necessary to "destroy" my amplifier. They sent me the instructions for doing so by email, and tolde me that once I sent the evidence, they would send me the new unit in approximately 2 months. This seemed ridiculous to me, so I decided to contact Fender directly.

Long story short, Fender they told me it was all a misunderstanding and that they never ask their customers to destroy the products (I suppose they do it directly or maybe the store does), and that the store should never have sent me the document with the destruction instructions. They asked me to delete that document and told me I could keep the amplifier on this occasion.

The bad news is that while I was waiting for Fender's response on what would happen, I decided to go ahead and disassemble the amplifier. I removed the boards (which was really what they asked me to destroy in the doc). And well, upon hearing the news that I could keep the amplifier, I reassembled it. Bbut now the sound quality is very poor, with no treble, as if it had a filter or something, maybe I connected something wrong. All the EQ/CUT knobs work, but the sound is very different from before.

That's why I want to ask for your support in letting me know what the problem might be. I appreciate any help in this regard.

1716947207435.png
1716947265193.png
1716947305166.png

UPDATE: Maybe this is the problem; it looks like something should be connected here, but I can't find the cable that is supposed to go there. Can someone please confirm?

1716999574587.png

Last edited:
Contact Fender directly again. Ask them to send you a new one with you either sending that one back or destroying it again for them as described in the instructions. You shouldn’t have to be responsible for correcting(via self repair)the initial handling error between your dealer and them.
"destroying it again" :rofl

I'm already confused, but I hope the OP winds up with three FR-12's somehow.

The top left plug on the preamp board is the tweeter power output, make sure it is not loose.

Maybe this is the problem; it looks like something should be connected here, maybe the tweeter into the power section? but I can't find the cable that is supposed to go there.

1717006060359.png

Maybe this is the problem; it looks like something should be connected here, maybe the tweeter into the power section? but I can't find the cable that is supposed to go there.

If the cable has fallen down inside, you can take off the front grille and look through the bass port. You might spot something in there.

Note, when looking through the bass port, you will also see the power amp inside a faraday cage, screwed to the bottom of the cab in there.

Last edited:
Found it! Thank you so much, I hope that solves itView attachment 23459
If the cable has fallen down inside, you can take off the front grille and look through the bass port. You might spot something in there.

Note, when looking through the bass port, you will also see the power amp inside a faraday cage, screwed to the bottom of the cab in there.
This was the solution, the amp now works as intended. Thanks again por your help!

Indeed 😄 that thing just connects two different cables going to the tweeter.

Really happy to hear you sorted this out!

Back