Favourite amps in your modeler/profiler

Fractal​

ModelBased on real ampNotes
Cornfed MK50Cornford MK50It's like the perfect modded Marshall to me.
AC-20 12AX7 TrebleMorgan AC-20 DeluxeThis on the other hand is like a spot on modernized Vox AC. Sounds very close to the Victory VC35 I had.
Texas StarMesa LonestarBig bold cleans and nice drive sounds.
ODS-100Dumble ODSAlso nice cleans and lovely drive sounds.
Super VerbFender Super ReverbClean and edge of breakup tones with the matching cab, just great. Try the factory IRs with the 313 mic.
Comet 60Komet 60Try this with a Strat or Tele. It can sound too tubby with humbuckers but with a thinner sounding guitar really sings for leads.
Nuclear ToneSwart Atomic Space ToneThis is a really cool sounding amp that is "Tweedish" in a unique way.
Fryette D60 MoreFryette DeliveranceReally mean sounding for high gain rhytm tones. IRs that use Fane speakers highly recommended.

Line6​

Placater DirtyFriedman BEThis is IMO the best modded Marshall model on Helix.
Revv GenRevv Generator 120These are nice for high gain tones.
LitigatorLine6 originalThis is such a lovely sounding Dumble-ish amp.
VentouxLine6 originalThere's a lot of ways to set this one up and get pretty drastically different sounds. Great job Line6!
CartographerBen Adrian modded Traynor YBA-1It sounds beastly.

I guess I don't have a favorite clean amp model on Helix.

I tried to pick some favorites as well as some unusual options here. All those Fenders, Marshalls and Voxes of course sound good on both platforms but to me the highlights are the models that are a bit off the beaten path.

PS. Folks, don't sleep on the formatting tools on this forum.

Fractal​

Cornfed MK50Cornford MK50It's like the perfect modded Marshall to me.
AC-20 12AX7 TrebleMorgan AC-20 DeluxeThis on the other hand is like a spot on modernized Vox AC. Sounds very close to the Victory VC35 I had.
Texas StarMesa LonestarBig bold cleans and nice drive sounds.
ODS-100Dumble ODSAlso nice cleans and lovely drive sounds.
Super VerbFender Super ReverbClean and edge of breakup tones with the matching cab, just great. Try the factory IRs with the 313 mic.
Comet 60Komet 60Try this with a Strat or Tele. It can sound too tubby with humbuckers but with a thinner sounding guitar really sings for leads.
Nuclear ToneSwart Atomic Space ToneThis is a really cool sounding amp that is "Tweedish" in a unique way.
Fryette D60 MoreFryette DeliveranceReally mean sounding for high gain rhytm tones. IRs that use Fane speakers highly recommended.

Line6​

Placater DirtyFriedman BEThis is IMO the best modded Marshall model on Helix.
Revv GenRevv Generator 120These are nice for high gain tones.
LitigatorLine6 originalThis is such a lovely sounding Dumble-ish amp.
VentouxLine6 originalThere's a lot of ways to set this one up and get pretty drastically different sounds. Great job Line6!
CartographerBen Adrian modded Traynor YBA-1It sounds beastly.

I guess I don't have a favorite clean amp model on Helix.

I tried to pick some favorites as well as some unusual options here. All those Fenders, Marshalls and Voxes of course sound good on both platforms but to me the highlights are the models that are a bit off the beaten path.

PS. Folks, don't sleep on the formatting tools on this forum.
Try the Voltage Queen on the Helix for cleans. I think this is an overlooked gem.

Kemper Stage:
Mesa Electradyne
Mesa JP2C
Marshall JCM 800
1964 Fender Super Reverb

These are the only profiles I use along with an acoustic sim built in with the Stage.

On the one hand, I play modelers in large part so I don't have to have favorites...

...on the other, I spend the vast majority of my time on FM3 playing either tweed Princeton or Princeton reverb, and the vaaaaaaast majority of my L6 time on either Victory Queen or Princeton Reverb with pedal dirt (if I'm playing clean, it's on Fractal. Because it's significantly better for that :sofa)

On the one hand, I play modelers in large part so I don't have to have favorites...

...on the other, I spend the vast majority of my time on FM3 playing either tweed Princeton or Princeton reverb, and the vaaaaaaast majority of my L6 time on either Victory Queen or Princeton Reverb with pedal dirt (if I'm playing clean, it's on Fractal. Because it's significantly better for that :sofa)

I used to enjoy that HX Princeton model.

What's frustrating is the HX Princeton is the Princeton NR which stays clean forever. Then there's guys on YouTube that are comparing that NR model to a real Princeton Reverb with the extra gain from the reverb send and recovery stages and asking "does it sound the same?".

Arrgggggh!!!! Hulk SMASH!

What's frustrating is the HX Princeton is the Princeton NR. Then there's guys on YouTube that are comparing that NR model to a Princeton Reverb and asking "does it sound the same?".

Arrgggggh!!!! Hulk SMASH!
I've never actually played a NR irl. Maybe I wouldn't like it as much. Dunno. But in terms of resilient clean sounds (the kind that squish a little on the front and bloom on the back) I can get perfectly fine useable tones in Helix that I'm happy with and then I go back to FM3 and "oh. Right..."

Fractal:
Dizzy Blue ch3
Dizzy Silver ch3
5153 Blue
5153 Red
Recto2 Orange Modern
Double Verb
USA Bass 400

Helix:
Revv Red
Revv Purple
WhoWatt 100
US Double Vib
Archetype Lead

In terms of the Helix Marshalls... I've not bonded with them as much as I would like. I think it might be bright cap related? Not 100% sure. @MirrorProfiles can probably throw some logic on it, I just know that I don't vibe with any of them really.

In terms of the Helix Marshalls... I've not bonded with them as much as I would like. I think it might be bright cap related? Not 100% sure
Got my stomp yesterday and even with gain on 2 the 2204 is just a high gain monster lol maybe I'm missing something

I don't like to badmouth Helix because it works for so many people, but I was never happy with the Marshalls ever. The Placater was sort of there, but I was never 100% satisfied. Tried for years to find something that I wasn't compelled to tweak every time I powered on. At one point I thought I just hated playing guitar and concluded that I was the problem.

Then once I got an FM3 and tried the Plexi 100 preset it was like "Oh. There it is".
Current faves in Fractalverse:

Plexi 100 High (Does exactly the plexi thing that I was looking for!)
CAE3+ (Lukather tones for days)
Boogie Mark IIC+ Bright (Does the late 90s Petrucci thing that I've lusted after for ages. 15-year-old me would piss himself if I had access to this tone back then). :love

Everyone gushes over the FAS Marshalls. I think I got spoilt by the Atomic Marshalls then dove headfirst into the Mesa Motherload and couldn't bring myself to use really anything else. I do have a good 1959SLP preset I use from time to time?

In terms of the Helix Marshalls... I've not bonded with them as much as I would like. I think it might be bright cap related? Not 100% sure. @MirrorProfiles can probably throw some logic on it, I just know that I don't vibe with any of them really.

tbh I think the Helix Marshalls are pretty bang on besides bright caps. In your Axe FX you can easily take the bright cap out, as well as go through small to bigger values and hear the influence it has. Everyone has their own preference to what they like, some of the factory ones are REALLY aggressive and cause a ton of gain from the amp.

In general single coil players like smaller or no bright caps because it can help stop get things to pointy. Bright caps are great if you like humbuckers and gainy tones and want extra point on the front of the note. That KERRANG sound thats associated with Marshall's comes largely from the bright cap (and treble peaker). The higher you have the gain set, the less influence the bright cap will have. At 10 its totally out the circuit. At lower gain values you'll hear it more.

On the cool sounding Marshalls, they have a ton of gain and you can set the gain quite low and get things REALLY aggressive. If you have lower gain valves or just unlucky resistor/capacitor tolerances, you may need to up the gain and have a smoother sound. Just a lottery really.

Easy to tell the Helix Marshalls that have bright caps by setting the gain low and hearing if they have that shrill top end or not.

I love the Carol Ann models in the Axe. The Tucana is my #1, but the Triptik is really nice as well. I use both the clean and lead Tucana models all the time. It's the only amp in the Axe that I felt I wanted to seek out a real one-
IMG_5792.JPG

Don't like 'em. But so many people do, so it must be a Mesa thing with me.
I can appreciate them; but I am so neck deep in Mesa stuff I just can't really be bothered? I used to be a complete 5150 nut but I don't bother with those anymore either? I think I got burnt out on the EVH amps IRL (despite it not being the same thing as the Peavey stuff).

Back