EVH Guitars Price Gap

texhex

Roadie
Is it just me or does there seem to be a huge segment of business that EVH is missing out on in their guitar lineup? They have NOTHING in the $2K-$3K price range? They literally go from $1999 for a mexican made knock off of a Frankenstein, to $3899 for a USA Wolfgang?

Seems like they could be making some money here if they had a price point that was USA made guitars in the $2K-$3K price range. Stainless steel frets, german floyds and higher quality hardware. Something like the PRS S2 - CE builds. Could eat into their higher end USA models but they would open up a whole new market in that range.

Ttg37Ps.jpg

They’ve definitely priced themselves out of my range, even with their MIM’s. I can’t f*cking believe an MIM is selling for basically $2K. I know it’s been stated ad nauseam over the years since these Frankie’s came out, but the fact they’re charging that much for a guitar Ed literally built from factory seconds and whatever he could get his hands on cheap, is a bit ironic. Obviously capitalism is gonna capitalism, but you’d think this would be a great point for Fender to make a guitar with the same appointments for under a grand and put the “magic” into the player’s hands, much like EVH did with Frankie. Marking up a partscaster to borderline Custom Shop prices has the “sh*tting all over tradition” feel to it.

That said, that silver Stealth is pretty damn hot, but nothing is $4K hot, IMO.

Well as the whole range has the same Korean hardware and now the same pickups. Even before the Korean made Wolfgang pickup was exactly the same as the USA one with the slugs used in a fraction further . Same wire ,same bobbin, same baseplate and magnet ,literally the only difference was where they wind them.

They’ve definitely priced themselves out of my range, even with their MIM’s. I can’t f*cking believe an MIM is selling for basically $2K. I know it’s been stated ad nauseam over the years since these Frankie’s came out, but the fact they’re charging that much for a guitar Ed literally built from factory seconds and whatever he could get his hands on cheap, is a bit ironic. Obviously capitalism is gonna capitalism, but you’d think this would be a great point for Fender to make a guitar with the same appointments for under a grand and put the “magic” into the player’s hands, much like EVH did with Frankie. Marking up a partscaster to borderline Custom Shop prices has the “sh*tting all over tradition” feel to it.

That said, that silver Stealth is pretty damn hot, but nothing is $4K hot, IMO.
All bolt neck guitars built by CNC are parts guitars. what matters is who puts them together . Details, hand work and Floyd roses (even Korean ones) cost way more than other hardware. Now add the margins and I think you will find $2k is not unreasonable.
I have no issues with guitars costing $4k and up as long as the details are good. It's about time this industry dared to put up prices in line with everything else . A Fender strat cost $249 in 1954, work that out in todays money.

All bolt neck guitars built by CNC are parts guitars. what matters is who puts them together . Details, hand work and Floyd roses (even Korean ones) cost way more than other hardware. Now add the margins and I think you will find $2k is not unreasonable.
I have no issues with guitars costing $4k and up as long as the details are good. It's about time this industry dared to put up prices in line with everything else . A Fender strat cost $249 in 1954, work that out in todays money.

But are these MIM Frankie’s actually getting $2000 worth of finishing done to them, or are they on par with the $979 Player Strats also coming out of Mexico?

I don’t disagree that a guitar that’s had more time in a builder’s hands rather than the machines should cost more, but is that actually what’s happening with these MIM’s?

They are on a parr with the fender but add a Floyd and the most complex finish ever on a guitar of this price. Still fair price I think. I do see your point though but In general Fender offers some of the best budget guitars available.

Well with inflation increasing prices 20-25% over the last five years, it's kind of to be expected. It's kind of like a gap between $1500-3000 guitars a few years back. I'm not sure EVH is trying to hit every price point, but a USA made guitar with stainless frets is probably going to run $3-4k depending on finish and wood.

I mean, the PRS CE guitars are now $2500 and they use import hardware and a few other cost cutting measures. And they don't have stainless frets.

Honestly right now, your best bet is to find good deals on used guitars or bite the bullet and get the MIM and have a really good tech set up the frets/nut flawlessly.

I hear ya. Guitars have gotten so expensive in general. And then, yeah, they’ve always been proud of those. I would love to try a Wolfgang, but not for $4K. If there was one for $1999 or $2499, I’d probably have bought one by now…

All the brands prices are up. Those usa prices are the same as ebmm for instance. Jackson's are insane right now as well, 2k for Korean guitars.

Back