Ever Have One Of Those Days When Your Playing Is On Fire?!

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
I've made today 'play my guitar day, all day', and I'm really having fun!! I've literally been at it for at least 7 hours, and I'm not done yet, just taking a break to eat. And it's like, the longer I play, the better everything is coming together. I can't remember ever, even when I first started playing, enjoying playing all day like this! I'm really hitting a stride, my tone is killer, and it's exhilarating!

I kinda wish I could keep going well into the evening too, but I'm going to see Petrucci tonight.

Ever have one of those days?

Yeah dude, last night! As soon as I picked up a guitar I knew it was going to be one of those nights and I didn’t waste it. It’s like my fingers finally line up and move in unison and my fingertips go right where they’re supposed to. On nights like that I can play my Strats like my JEM and not f*ck up all over the place.

They come along every so often. The more consistently I play, the more consistently they happen….almost as if there was some kind of relationship between those two things or something.

Enjoy it!

I've made today 'play my guitar day, all day', and I'm really having fun!! I've literally been at it for at least 7 hours, and I'm not done yet, just taking a break to eat. And it's like, the longer I play, the better everything is coming together. I can't remember ever, even when I first started playing, enjoying playing all day like this! I'm really hitting a stride, my tone is killer, and it's exhilarating!

I kinda wish I could keep going well into the evening too, but I'm going to see Petrucci tonight.

Ever have one of those days?
Dude, record something! It’s been a LONG while since I’ve had one of those, but would try to record something to capture it.

Dude, record something! It’s been a LONG while since I’ve had one of those, but would try to record something to capture it.
What I'm doing today is probably the first time I've tapped into an area that I'd actually be ok sharing, but I'm not set up to really record yet. I play mainly through headphones, so my presets are tweaked for them. I could do a basic phone video, but I'd at least want to get a preset sounding good through my Mesa rig, and I'm just not to the point where I wanna fuck with that yet.

But yeah, I've definitely been thinking about posting something. My playing has come a long way in the last 4 years since I really 'strapped it on' just about every day, and got a Majesty and an Axe Fx, and I'm kinda proud of the improvements I've made. So I do wanna do that. Just not yet.

But I appreciate the encouragement!

And @DrewJD82, yeah man, it's a great feeling, no doubt! It's funny, ever since I heard your new song, and that solo, I've been like, yeah I wanna get me some of that too. Haha

#Gettin' There!

What I'm doing today is probably the first time I've tapped into an area that I'd actually be ok sharing, but I'm not set up to really record yet. I play mainly through headphones, so my presets are tweaked for them. I could do a basic phone video, but I'd at least want to get a preset sounding good through my Mesa rig, and I'm just not to the point where I wanna f**k with that yet.

But yeah, I've definitely been thinking about posting something. My playing has come a long way in the last 4 years since I really 'strapped it on' just about every day, and got a Majesty and an Axe Fx, and I'm kinda proud of the improvements I've made. So I do wanna do that. Just not yet.

And @DrewJD82, yeah man, it's a great feeling, no doubt! It's funny, ever since I heard your new song, and that solo, I've been like, yeah I wanna get me some of that too. Haha

#Gettin' There!
Great to hear! Record for yourself as well. No need to share if you don’t want to but nice to capture that moment.

What I'm doing today is probably the first time I've tapped into an area that I'd actually be ok sharing, but I'm not set up to really record yet. I play mainly through headphones, so my presets are tweaked for them. I could do a basic phone video, but I'd at least want to get a preset sounding good through my Mesa rig, and I'm just not to the point where I wanna f**k with that yet.

#Gettin' There!

happy-tears.gif

P.S. a lot of false/ misdirected modesty in some of the posts above. We've heard your clips. You have your "on" nights. You know who you are. :)

When I have those days I tend not to get excited about recording and will generally just enjoy it as it is. More often than not I’ll end up filling my phone up with 10 riff ideas that I can record later and it’s more important to just enjoy the quick ride, because it’ll be another 6 months before it happens again. :rofl

Make it a personal goal where your good days are great and your bad days are just good.

So far my bad days are more like “eeeeh, I GUESS he’s ok………..”. But Im getting there.

When I have those days I tend not to get excited about recording and will generally just enjoy it as it is. More often than not I’ll end up filling my phone up with 10 riff ideas that I can record later and it’s more important to just enjoy the quick ride, because it’ll be another 6 months before it happens again. :rofl
Good approach. For years I’ve sat down with no idea what I wanted to record and just ended up frustrated with half baked ideas that sound forced. My plans going forward are to work out my ideas, THEN record but honestly who in the hell has the time these days? I have a beautiful desk with 3 rack mount apollos that right now just serve to practice shit for fill in gigs and to produce clicks and backing tracks for my band.

Good approach. For years I’ve sat down with no idea what I wanted to record and just ended up frustrated with half baked ideas that sound forced. My plans going forward are to work out my ideas, THEN record but honestly who in the hell has the time these days? I have a beautiful desk with 3 rack mount apollos that right now just serve to practice s**t for fill in gigs and to produce clicks and backing tracks for my band.

That’s why I smoke a lot of pot. :rofl

I’ve got a fair amount of free time outside of work, by design. The majority of songs I’ve written have been started by sitting behind Pro Tools/Logic without a single idea, just a click track and a bag of pot, then a couple hours later there’s a song there. I’ve also had PLENTY of times I sat there and nothing happened at all, but if I’m in the right headspace, an empty DAW session is the same thing as a blank canvas.

That’s why I smoke a lot of pot. :rofl

I’ve got a fair amount of free time outside of work, by design. The majority of songs I’ve written have been started by sitting behind Pro Tools/Logic without a single idea, just a click track and a bag of pot, then a couple hours later there’s a song there. I’ve also had PLENTY of times I sat there and nothing happened at all, but if I’m in the right headspace, an empty DAW session is the same thing as a blank canvas.

Refreshing take, the uber-prudish herd mentality towards playing with weed/alcohol (much less anything else) over at that other place was starting to make think I was a degenerate. Which I probably still am but still :clint

Refreshing take, the uber-prudish herd mentality towards playing with weed/alcohol (much less anything else) over at that other place was starting to make think I was a degenerate. Which I probably still am but still :clint

Hahahaha I am no stranger in that department. In my teens and 20’s I used to pride myself on being hammered and still being able to pull a show off but when I chilled on my drinking my playing-while-buzzed skills completely vanished. Now after two drinks I just can’t f*cking play. :ROFLMAO: Greenery, on the other hand, is like opening the creativity gate.

I said it in the pot thread here, but last week I got home from work one day with the intention of taking a nap and not touching a guitar, before I blew my first hit out I was grabbing a guitar and walking into my studio and there’s practically a whole song‘s skeleton finished, including the majority of the drum track, which usually takes me a week to write.

And there’s no better time to partake than right before I start mixing a song. It’s the best time in the world to play with effects/panning/automation.

That said, I have about 1500 sessions that are a bunch of synths stacked up and it sounds REALLY cool for 20 seconds and then I didn’t know where to take them….all 100% done while I was baked. :rofl

Back