Electric drum kit recs?

There’s almost an art to playing acoustic drums. I think of it as pulling sound out them. You can’t just hit them, you have to hit them in the right spot at the right angle with the right rebound so you don’t choke the drums. Same with crash cymbals you are best to hit them with a little sweeping motion and with the shoulder of the stick on the bow of the cymbal.

Then there’s tuning…very difficult to get right. Took me years to get good at that. And that’s also really dependent on a quality kit. You need true and even bearing edges, sturdy and round hoops, smooth lugs.

But at the end of the day especially for us adults who aren’t playing professionally, a good electric kit with quality samples works just fine.

Indeed. Working in a drum shop as a teen you’d see people figure this out on the spot when going from a beginner/budget kit to something like a Starclassic Maple kit or a nice set of DW’s. They’d sit down behind a PDP kit (which were really nice beginner kits) and kinda just whack on ‘em, but when they’d sit behind a really nice kit they’d go through and hit everything and then slowly start going over every drum‘s sweet spot as they’re hearing different overtones from different areas ring out.

DW Collectors unfortunately live in the closet, so I’m using an Alesis Strike Pro SE, which can be had for about $2k used, save all of the 9000 hardware. Im really happy with them

Found a pic, ended up throwing some XF doubles in there

IMG_0435.jpeg

Last edited:
I…..have a PDP kit.. :puppet

:rofl

PDP kits were really good. I haven't seen or played any in 15 years but when I had a full Starclassic kit at home, I got a cheap used PDP kit off eBay for under $300 to keep in my cases for gigging. They sounded awesome and I never even replaced the tom heads. I put dozens of shows on those, thousands of miles on them.

On a related note, is it reasonable to learn to play on an e-kit? I've always wanted to learn to play drums, but an acoustic kit would be much too loud for this house.

Yes, and no. I’m coming to drums from guitar and originally I wanted to try to learn itUsing YouTube videos and other web content since there’s so much. That becomes the first problem- there’s so much info and it’s all over the map.

The second issue is that you won’t get that feedback to help you avoid bad habits or learning things “the wrong way.” A cheap e-kit won’t do you any favors with learning or being able to recognize the volume balance that real drummers must master. The foundation in rock music is the kick, followed by snare, and then hihats. This will all sound the same on a (cheap) e-kit due to strike sensitivity etc.

Not too long after getting my e-kit, I started lessons with an instructor and not long after that, I picked up an acoustic drum kit (with low noise additives) because I just couldn’t master concepts like this on the e-Kit.

You definitely can work on a lot of things with an e-kit, though.

There’s almost an art to playing acoustic drums. I think of it as pulling sound out them. You can’t just hit them, you have to hit them in the right spot at the right angle with the right rebound so you don’t choke the drums. Same with crash cymbals you are best to hit them with a little sweeping motion and with the shoulder of the stick on the bow of the cymbal.

Then there’s tuning…very difficult to get right. Took me years to get good at that. And that’s also really dependent on a quality kit. You need true and even bearing edges, sturdy and round hoops, smooth lugs.

But at the end of the day especially for us adults who aren’t playing professionally, a good electric kit with quality samples works just fine.
There is nothing like the responsiveness of playing acoustic drums. That being said when I was learning drums in high school band class there weren't enough drum sets to go around. The teacher had set up drum stations made out of long tables and desks. We would tap our feet on the floor, use the desks as snares and the longer tables as high hats to learn drum notation and tap out rhythms before moving on to the shitty drum set in the iso room before moving onto the good Yamaha set in Jazz band.

Ghetto AF but turned kids into drummers!

There is nothing like the responsiveness of playing acoustic drums. That being said when I was learning drums in high school band class there weren't enough drum sets to go around. The teacher had set up drum stations made out of long tables and desks. We would tap our feet on the floor, use the desks as snares and the longer tables as high hats to learn drum notation and tap out rhythms before moving on to the sh*tty drum set in the iso room before moving onto the good Yamaha set in Jazz band.

Ghetto AF but turned kids into drummers!

Yeah any practice is better than no practice!

I spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours on my Remo practice pad. That's what my teacher used too. We would do 45 minute lessons, half snare only, half full kit. While it didn't 100% match the feel and response of a snare drum, it made me a way better drummer.

Back