E-Drums connection question

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I recently acquired a nearly NOS Roland TD9-KX2 MKII set up for a crazy price, and want to hook it into my DAW PC. It does not have USB connectivity but does have MIDI. My SSL2+ interface has MIDI ports. I also have a M-Audio USB UNO Sport MIDI/USB adapter. The E-drums I had before I basically just plugged in to USB and voila it worked. With this set up I am wondering I should go straight MIDI into the interface or use the Uno Sport?

Yes I will probably experiment anyways but was hoping someone here might have done similar and whether it was better straight to MIDI or using an adapter? Advantages/disadvantages to either? Doesnt matter? etc etc...

I recently acquired a nearly NOS Roland TD9-KX2 MKII set up for a crazy price, and want to hook it into my DAW PC. It does not have USB connectivity but does have MIDI. My SSL2+ interface has MIDI ports. I also have a M-Audio USB UNO Sport MIDI/USB adapter. The E-drums I had before I basically just plugged in to USB and voila it worked. With this set up I am wondering I should go straight MIDI into the interface or use the Uno Sport?

Yes I will probably experiment anyways but was hoping someone here might have done similar and whether it was better straight to MIDI or using an adapter? Advantages/disadvantages to either? Doesnt matter? etc etc...
It shouldn’t make any difference but probably cleaner to just go
MIDI into interface. What software do you plan to trigger?

Either AD2 or EZD3. I thought about going into SPDIF because there are some really usable kits in this thing, but I want to be able to quantize if needed and not sure I can if I were to do that.

I ended up just going MIDI straight from the module to the interface and it couldnt have been any easier. EZD3 has a built in template for my module. Only thing I had to do was tweak a few of the velocity settings for the high hat. Works perfect!

Little difference between USB MIDI and DIN MIDI. Differences start to happen when there's lots of data going through and when using MIDI clock. Just playing v-drums won't come across those things.

Back