DS1 Waza Craft

This must mean people start giving old ds-1 pedals away for free :LOL:

Kidding..

It was always and is still an underrated and unappreciated pedal by many. Personally back when I used one it was ok into an already distorted amp. Didn’t like it much into clean things.

Boss pedals are just fantastic. Rugged, fairly inexpensive, and sound incredible. I use an SD1 with just about everything, and in modelers I always fire up an SD1 clone in front of whatever amp model is there. It's just awesome. While I'm more a metal guy and the more retro-sounding DS-1 isn't 100% for me, it still looks and sounds like a ton of fun, especially from Brett's demo.

I’m guessing that the pedal is in either standard mode or custom mode, and the button is on/off, correct?

Would be nice if you could’ve double-tapped to switch from standard to classic or vice-versa…

I’m interested in this from afar. My DS-1 days were in high school and I only wanted one because Vai was using one for a boost at the time, while Satch was using one his main distorted tone into those Marshall 6100’s (I think that was the model). I got a new one and absolutely hated it, this was my first introduction to “The old sh*t was better” because I started reading about the MIJ DS-1’s sounding better and those were what Satch/Vai were using until they started getting Keeley modded ones. I got an MIJ for $50 back then and still have it…..though it needs a little TLC….and a new home….

A3CA0C85-E660-41DF-AACF-70BAED5C9F84.jpeg

If the new one can compete with my old one, going straight into a clean amp and not sound like hollow tinfoil, I’d snag one just to have on hand.

I’m getting one, for sure. The DS-1 is misunderstood. Too many kids running it with the gain up high, into shitty SS amps. Run the gain lower into a broken up tube amp, and it’s money.

Isn’t that how everyone is supposed to be introduced to the ds1 though? I thought it was a rite of passage.

D

This must mean people start giving old ds-1 pedals away for free :LOL:

Kidding..

It was always and is still an underrated and unappreciated pedal by many. Personally back when I used one it was ok into an already distorted amp. Didn’t like it much into clean things.

I just gave my DS-1 away but it wasnt old. Bass player friend was talking about buying a distortion pedal so I let him try it and he liked it so I gave it to him. I have owned an old Japanese one and I dunno if mine was modded but it sounded way better than any of the new DS-1's I have ever tried.

They come out this right after I order a Mooer Ultra Drive Mk2. It's still cheaper though. ETA this week. Can't wait to get some DS1. I miss the orange box of rock.

Back