Dried and bent neck

Humidifier is SO important! I will never be without one if my home doesn't have it integrated into the air system. I'm in Canada.

I would avoid the "ultrasonic" devices that are all over the internet. If you have hard water then they can leave a white dust on every surface that drove me nuts. Using distilled water can help prevent this, but it's not worth the effort or expense (IMO).

I got an "evaporative" humidifier instead that worked really well, no white dust anymore. They're not as sleek-looking as the ultrasonic ones, but IDGAF. The improvement was worth it.

@laxu our previous apartment had balcony which was seeing sun very long time, also everything was black in the balcony including the carpet so they were heating like crazy. I used it as a greenhouse and planted plenty of Spanish chili and Carolina reaper there lol. Imo heat levels are still manageable, it usually doesn't take long in Finland but ofc it's still too much for the Finnish standards.

@hemmelight thank you for the recommendation I will consider it and I don't really care about the look at this point I just need to get one humidifier. Actually 2 humidifiers we need one in the bedroom too.

On a maple neck with finish on it it is more about temperature.
I will keep it somewhere warmer for some time and see if it helps

Edit: is this even real

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-01-19-19-33-35-88_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-01-19-19-33-35-88_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Let us know when you have got a key. It presents exactly like a seriously over tightened truss rod so we need to get that out of the way first.

I checked some stores but had no luck finding that. Those were either too big, or straight. Same with the online stores, It seems I can only order from Germany or Sweden. Annoying.

Or I can just go to any repair place with the guitar and say like hey mate can I borrow your tool and fix my guitar in the corner. Unfortunately one had in their website but it was out of stock.

Maybe I don't know how to search properly, it is just a basic tool.

I checked some stores but had no luck finding that. Those were either too big, or straight. Same with the online stores, It seems I can only order from Germany or Sweden. Annoying.

Or I can just go to any repair place with the guitar and say like hey mate can I borrow your tool and fix my guitar in the corner. Unfortunately one had in their website but it was out of stock.

Maybe I don't know how to search properly, it is just a basic tool.
This is probably the most common set, and has worked for many guitars I own. A similar one should be available in other stores like Clas Ohlson, Tokmanni, K-Rauta etc.

The search term you are looking for is "kuusiokoloavainsarja", which is a bit of a mouthful.

This is probably the most common set, and has worked for many guitars I own. A similar one should be available in other stores like Clas Ohlson, Tokmanni, K-Rauta etc.

The search term you are looking for is "kuusiokoloavainsarja", which is a bit of a mouthful.

It's like this, needs small L shaped wrench

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-01-20-18-18-04-05_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-01-20-18-18-04-05_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
It's like this, needs small L shaped wrench
Ah, that might need the "pipe" type wrench that's basically the opposite of the allen keys.

lt-4958-000-web_orig.jpg

These are much harder to find, you definitely want to try music stores for these. Kitarapaja in Helsinki seems to have 7 and 8mm as well as 1/4" models in stock.

Ah, that might need the "pipe" type wrench that's basically the opposite of the allen keys.

lt-4958-000-web_orig.jpg

These are much harder to find, you definitely want to try music stores for these. Kitarapaja in Helsinki seems to have 7 and 8mm as well as 1/4" models in stock.

Yess! Kitarapaja didnt have it in the stock 2 days ago but it seems they restocked fast. Actually I went there last thursday to show the Fusion, dudes agreed with each other that its not fixable with truss rod. They are right most likely but I will give it a try

Yess! Kitarapaja didnt have it in the stock 2 days ago but it seems they restocked fast. Actually I went there last thursday to show the Fusion, dudes agreed with each other that its not fixable with truss rod. They are right most likely but I will give it a try
Yeah it's a fairly cheap thing to try at least.

Update

I loosened the rod with a basic wrench. I don't know why I didn't think behind of the wrench wouldn't fit in the cavity, it fits nicely. I moved the rod quarter for now, I'll let the wood adapt for a few days.

I also got humidifier, it's increasing humidity noticably. Reached 30 percent in the room where I store the guitars. My target will be 40 as I don't want to create mold. Let's see if it helps after some weeks.

I oiled the ebony fretboard with F-one oil. Didn't clean it completely afterwards and it sucked some of the oil in a day.

Results: E string doesn't touch the first fret anymore. Still too close and buzzing but that's a thing. As you guys said it will take some days. In the other hand string action increased in the middle. I lowered the Floyd, it got better and didn't affect too much to first fret but I can't lower the Floyd anymore because strings will touch to the bridge pickup if I use tremolo backwards. So hope it won't ruin the action too much in the middle otherwise it will be unplayable again.

Notice that's the first fret in the picture, little up, less than a mm but probably the another cause for the buzzing. I realized I can get this locking nut shimmer to increase nut height. That will probably solve the major problem. Plus each plate costs 3 euros so I can easily give it a shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-01-21-17-03-20-81_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-01-21-17-03-20-81_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240121_173955.jpg
    IMG_20240121_173955.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240121_173829.jpg
    IMG_20240121_173829.jpg
    999.2 KB · Views: 8
Loosen it completely this will raise the action over the first fret anyway. When loose leave it for a day or two and then tighten it up until the neck is dead straight let it rest and then see if it is still dead straight and if it is loosen an 1/8 th turn. When the rod applies force the effect is instant.

Loosen it completely this will raise the action over the first fret anyway. When loose leave it for a day or two and then tighten it up until the neck is dead straight let it rest and then see if it is still dead straight and if it is loosen an 1/8 th turn. When the rod applies force the effect is instant.
I will follow this and report back

Truss rod didnt help in the end so I raised the nut height with proper shim. It's playable and feels good with amp atm. Otherwise still buzzing in the middle frets

you can fix it. The place you brought it to doesn't sound like they have the expertise. it will take a while to get the humidity back to where it should be, then I would use an oil treatment. If the neck is lumpy it can be sanded, if the neck straightens out, then a fret job would do wonders. I have an old ebmm that I fight all the time. The truss rod does nothing so I have to keep 10s on it to keep it straight and prevent it from back bowing. The string gauge is a factor. In the summer the neck is pin straight so 9's or a mixture of 9's and 10's work. (10-13-17-26-32-42)........ In the winter, it's a different animal and it's 10-46. I keep my guitars in a dedicated space at 50% and they are in their cases.

I always go back to this table on the Elixir web site to help with the string tension numbers.

1706823201920.png

Last edited:
Back