Do you use Fast Fret or other string cleaners?

Jarick

Shredder
Been using it on and off for the last year or so and I think I like it, but the effects are pretty subtle. The applicator always seems fairly dry but squeezing the sides there's still some liquid in there (assuming it's some mineral oil blend). I've got six guitars and don't want to constantly change strings or always spring for coated strings (especially with the cost of strings going way up), so anything to keep them going a little more would be great.

I grabbed my Strat this morning and it sounded a bit dead (strings are maybe a few weeks old), but applying this stuff it did seem seem to bring back a tiny bit of sparkle and glide.

Curious if anyone uses this or other brands, and if it seems to help keep strings sounding fresher for longer?

I always use fast fret whenever the temperature or situation (like gigs) will probably make my hands sweat.

Works very good applied before playing for better feeling/playability and after playing for cleaning.

Not Fast Fret, but regular string cleaner that you use with a cloth. I rarely use it, but do sometimes, when I want to eek out that last bit of life from the strings, or after a gig and they feel all gunky.

Never cared for it back in my gigging days for some reason. Now I use it on all my guitars. I think I read somewhere that it is some kind of mineral oil in it. I may look into picking some up and just soaking it into the applicator when it’s all used up. Maybe some kind of placebo, or junk science, but I do think it extends string life…who knows lol
:whistle

Always use Finger Ease. Literally can't play comfortably without it.

1665343235449.png

I may have to try that. does it help string tone?
It doesn't improve the tone as such but it makes the string last longer for me as the string doesn't retain as much dirt. With a longer lasting string you keep the tone of a decent string for longer so to speak. Hope this helps.

I always use fast fret whenever the temperature or situation (like gigs) will probably make my hands sweat.

Works very good applied before playing for better feeling/playability and after playing for cleaning.

Same but I use finger ease. If I dont, when I sweat it's like playing a cinder block in the middle of the desert.

I use Music Nomad string fuel, works well

View attachment 1344

This is what I use as well, but not so much for the lubrication of strings as much as I do to keep them sounding fresh/bright. If I’m recording final guitar tracks, they normally start losing that attack/brightness around hour 4-5 of playing, so if I remember to use that stuff about 2 hours into tracking I can use the same set of strings to make it through a song.

Of course, I probably wouldn’t even notice a tonal change if I didn’t use it, but it’s one of those idiosyncratic things that I do out of habit now. Especially with bass and now that I’m doing more Strat-edge of breakup stuff it REALLY helps.

I'll probably try the Dunlop or Music Nomad stuff next. The GHS does dry out kind of fast. I have some Music Nomad fingerboard cleaner and guitar polish and its pretty decent. But I do prefer the applicator of the Dunlop fingerboard cleaner I had before.

Back