Do You Need To Warm Up?

Which Best Describes You?

• I have to warm up for a period of time before I can play at my best level

• I have a dedicated warm-up routine that I try to stick to

• I just noodle the same old shit and don't really care

• I can just pick up my guitar cold and rip

• I'm still figuring out this sort of thing

• People actually warm up to play guitar?

Results are only viewable after voting.

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
I know players who can just grab a guitar cold, and rip. That ain't me. Can you?

Like, I'm getting my abilities pushed way beyond what they used to be, but I've come to realize, I have to play for maybe an hour before I'm able to play at my outer edge.

The other day when I first started, I was like, damn, you suck again! :rofl But then, by the end of the night, I was fine. I suppose I realized that it's not realistic to think I can just grab a guitar, and right away, be "on."

So I was wondering if y'all have to warm up, or what. And do you have a regimen, per se, like stretching?

Pick 2 if you want, but do vote if you wanna see the results. ;)

For me it varies day to day. Some days, everything is spot on from chord one! Other days, I can play for several hours and still hear how bad I suck ;~)) The voice on the other hand, definitely gets better after an hour of singing and that happens regardless of whether it is a good day or a bad day. The exception is when I have pushed myself too far the day before or have a sickness, then it gets worse for the voice from note one and forward.

NOTE: No ripping here, so that is likely a big factor! Cowboy chord heaven in this world ;~))

Not me either need my warm up time, As @duzie said, Spreadsheet time :LOL:

timeline
4:00 AM or 4:30AM
Hand stretch exercise and massage for blood circulation ~10 minutes
Scales + Spider run ~ 20-30 Minutes
then I hit the song parts and practice that, and depends could be 1-2 hrs.

:idk

Last edited:
I'm finding over just the past six months things changing for my left (fretting) hand in particular. I normally sit down for about 45 minutes to an hour, finding it was taking over 30 minutes to feel my fingers flowing naturally like I could from the start say two years ago.
I have found a five minute bath in almost hot water and some dedicated flexing prior to my session gets me in my "zone" within ten minutes of starting so I'm doing that more often. It does soften your calluses a bit though.

I play better once I'm a bit loosened up, but actually warming up was a luxury I didn't have back when I was still doing the bar band thing-load in, set up, have a beer at the bar with the drummer, start playing. That was it back then, and that is pretty much how I still am. No exercises or stretches or anything, but I do ease my way into it.

I have had major issues with tendinitis and have an ulnar nerve issue that has gotten better over the past 15 years. I would have to warm up and stretch daily even when I wasn't playing guitar. I couldn't play as often as I wanted to or for as long as I wanted to without being physically unable to lift my amp or grasp my steering wheel after a gig.
I'm healthier and stronger now so most of that is in my rearview. A little stretching and alt picked chromatics across the strings can help but these days I can pick up a guitar and go.

What really needs warming up is my anxiety. It takes me a little bit before I can feel comfortable enough to rip it when in front of complete strangers. I usually overcome this as quickly as possible by saying something idiotic in the mic. Can't get worse from there.

I picked 2 and 4 because while I can pick up and go, a little warming up helps.

Yes.

Start with chromatic picking at root position using all four fingers starting on 6th string up to 1st, then slide up a fret and go back down in reverse to 6th string. (I can't type it in tab because forum software formats things); keep repeating all the way up the neck.

Sometimes I'll do patterns of 3 strings up/down, jump back up/down one string and repeat.

Then reverse everything at top of neck and go all the way back down to the root position.

Yes.

Start with chromatic picking at root position using all four fingers starting on 6th string up to 1st, then slide up a fret and go back down in reverse to 6th string. (I can't type it in tab because forum software formats things); keep repeating all the way up the neck.

Sometimes I'll do patterns of 3 strings up/down, jump back up/down one string and repeat.

Then reverse everything at top of neck and go all the way back down to the root position.
If you want to use tab in one of these posts, put it in the "Inline Code" block that is offered by clicking on the 3 dots next to the pallet. When you click on that, you have 6 or so icons, and the one for Inline Code looks like a ">_" (greater than followed by underscore). Put the tab into the post, highlight it and then choose the Inline Code format option ;~))

[Intro]
E|-0--0---------------------| h = Hammer-on
A|----------------0h2-------|
D|-------2--0--2-------0-2--| x8
G|--------------------------|
B|--------------------------|
e|--------------------------|

alternate

1 1234-5432
2 1234 1234 5432 5432
3 1234 1234 1234 5432 5432 5432
4 1234 1234 1234 5432 5432 5432
5 1234 1234 5432 5432
6 1234 5432-3456 etc on up the neck

back down the neck

1 22 21 20 19 18 19 20 21etc
2 22 21 20 19 18 19 20 21
3 22 21 20 19 18 19 20 21
4 22 21 20 19 18 19 20 21
5 22 21 20 19 18 19 20 21
6 22 21 20 19-18 19 20 21

I play better once I'm a bit loosened up, but actually warming up was a luxury I didn't have back when I was still doing the bar band thing-load in, set up, have a beer at the bar with the drummer, start playing. That was it back then, and that is pretty much how I still am. No exercises or stretches or anything, but I do ease my way into it.
That's a good point.

I was asking in a general context, more or less, but what we used to do when gigging, both for vocals and guitar, is put our easier songs in the front.

And for vox, after the 4th song was done, our singer wanted any of the harder-to-reach songs next in line, so he wouldn't have to sing them late in the gig.

And back in my drinking days, I'd try to get my difficult songs somewhere in the middle, so I'd be loose, but not yet tanked! :rofl

What really needs warming up is my anxiety. It takes me a little bit before I can feel comfortable enough to rip it when in front of complete strangers.
Another great point! I'm a nervous wreck the 1st few songs. Always have been, and even after playing tons of live gigs, it never went away. Another reason we'd put anything difficult later in the sets.

Back