Do you like the smell of your tube amp?

Trollbait

Roadie
I just purchased a used Crate Palomino 32. Great tone at bedroom volume.

It has a slightly off smell to it as the tubes heat up and this amp is known to run hot. So perhaps it's the dusty tubes.

My 60's fender twin, that I sold to help buy 20 steers, had a Similar smell, but better somehow.

So that lends the question, does dust from different places smell different when heated by a tube amp. Do different tubes or different wattages make a difference in smell?

I had a Palomino V32 head and 2 x 12 Cab setup and I distinctly recall how hot that sucker ran, and the smell
that came from that heat.

Those EL84s are just a cooking. Cool amp with some great tones. :beer

Dust cooking off hot tubes is a nice smell. But I have had some amps that didn't smell quite so nice.

8935vu.jpg

The warm wood of the cabinet is also part of the smell. Pine, birch etc
You might be on to something there. From a couple of places where the tolex is ripped, it appears the cabinet is made out of some type of dense press board which most likely is heavily saturated with glue. Might explain the horsey/cattle smell.

I think that perhaps I should have made this thread a poll.

Who makes the best smelling tube amp? :)

Getting flashbacks from when I bought that Laney IRT Studio that smelled like the Marlboro man's hat collection

:barf

I had that with a hot rod deville I bought. It was really cheap but it took months for the smell to die down. Even 6 months later when it got hot the smell would come back. I ended up selling it to a mate of mine who still smoked and didn't seem to mind it.

Back