Do y'all hate amp demos using IRs?

JerEvil

Roadie
So here’s a question I often wonder about. Seems there are two VERY split camps of viewers AND creators on this.

Some people say “if it ain’t mic’d” it’s bullshit and I don’t trust it.

This has always confused me. Especially when wildly successful albums on the rock and metal genre are done with guitars going through plugin’s with no real amp at all.

Additionally many guys still can’t mic an amp to save their lives. So what gives? Are IR’s and load boxes bullshit? Does it get discounted as soon as you hear someone say “I used my Xbrand load box and this IR?”

Thoughts?

Hahahahahha I gotta chuckle at anyone who says “IR’s are bullshit, give me a mic’d cab”

Not too far off from saying “The Whopper sucks, Big Mac rules”

Most players seem to be using IRs so makes sense to have demos with them. If you're going through the trouble of making amp demo or comparison vids then having cab IR simplifies that process somewhat. Plus you can crank the amp to high levels. Real cab with mic would need to be isolated to get to those levels. Not everybody has the space or environment for that.

Hahahahahha I gotta chuckle at anyone who says “IR’s are bullshit, give me a mic’d cab”

Not too far off from saying “The Whopper sucks, Big Mac rules”
Yeah I mean this is my take as well. For me I just want the best representation of the amp or gear possible.

I have a fuck ton of really nice mics and a really nice couple load boxes. Given that a HUGE subset of guitar players use Ox Boxes, Captor’s, etc. you’d think this would be a non-argument anymore.

At this point I don't think it matters. Either one can do an equally well job. Regardless of IR's or a mic'd cab, youtube demos can never really capture the full essence of an amp. You can gauge the sound enough, but it'll never sound the exact same once it's going through your specific guitar, speakers, pedals, etc. Plus you'll never be able to determine how the amp feels playing by watching a video.

I tend to hear some "equalizing" thing with demos using IR's and a load box. Plus these most often sound "better" in a sense of more pleasing to the ear, more polished maybe, and most often more like a produced sound. This leads me to prefer well mic'ed cabs demos. But quite often, with mic'ed demos I think, man, that amp (or cab) surely doesn't sound like that/so bad. But maybe this is, because many may not know how to mic a cab to make it sound good.
Using a load and IR will surely yield repeatable results, moreso than with miking and the placement of the mic, distance to cab, sound of the room a.s.o.

In my hobbyist-only-very-few-shows-(if-any)-per-year-in-very-small-clubs cocoon, I most often don't see anyone using IRs to go to FoH. I do happen to have a simple IR loader (the small NU-X one...). But I don't use it since I'm too lazy for the additional cabling hazzle, and seems to me, that many technicians also do, or at least trust the simple SM57 where the dust meets the cap formula.

Here's my problem with it.

Demos with IRs are basically useless to me, as I'm a live player, so if it's an amp, I will be running it into a cab, and listening to it without a mic. Also, I probably don't have the IR the demo'er has, so the amp is not going to sound like that when it gets to me.

Recording-wise? Sure, it's helpful, but a different IR will make the amp sound different, so still, it'll get you in the ballpark, but it ain't gonna sound the same, if you have YOUR favorite IRs that YOU use.

Unfortunately, we don't have a better option.

Here's my problem with it.

Demos with IRs are basically useless to me, as I'm a live player, so if it's an amp, I will be running it into a cab, and listening to it without a mic. Also, I probably don't have the IR the demo'er has, so the amp is not going to sound like that when it gets to me.

Recording-wise? Sure, it's helpful, but a different IR will make the amp sound different, so still, it'll get you in the ballpark, but it ain't gonna sound the same, if you have YOUR favorite IRs that YOU use.

Unfortunately, we don't have a better option.
Yeah, but.... what cab will you be running, what mic would you use if at all, and in what room/stage? Still many variables and a lot of our choices are instinctual anyways. There's no way to really know until the gear is with you.

I don't have a problem with it, its useful and consistent

That said, I find that "in the room" demos are the most effective in actually understanding what an amp sounds like if you are going off the internet. But I know I'm alone in that regard.

Yeah, but.... what cab will you be running, what mic would you use if at all, and in what room/stage? Still many variables and a lot of our choices are instinctual anyways. There's no way to really know until the gear is with you.
EXACTLY, which is what makes demos a little useless, for certain players.

Last edited:
EXACTLY, which is what makes demos a little useless, for certain players.
I think they're good to get a generalized tone profile of an amp. Especially if you watch 5 or more vids, you start to see the tone trends. Pickups are like this too. You can get an idea, but yeah... until they're in your guitar running through your stuff you don't know. We have so many choices these days, it's almost impossible to play each item in a store so demos, songs and word of mouth is all we have to go on. I've learned to trust my ears and decipher what I'm hearing from vids.

I only trust clips recorded with a cell phone, placed somewhere in the room with the cab.

:cop

I know you're joking, but honestly for real.

Ola demo vs. an iphone video, I know which one is going to tell me more about how the amp sounds. And it ain't our beloved swede

I know you're joking, but honestly for real.

Ola demo vs. an iphone video, I know which one is going to tell me more about how the amp sounds. And it ain't our beloved swede
There is some truth to a having a well placed mic in a room sound. You have a better sense of how it might feel 6 or more ft. away.
Of course mic and room choices matter a great deal though.

Back