Do Something Challenge Discussion Thread

It has been fun following this and the associated threads and hearing what everyone has produced along the way. I have not personally participated for a number of reasons, but am looking forward to taking part in the next challenge.

That said, I wanted to spitball an idea on this challenge (which may have been covered in part or whole previously) as I believe it could produce some really fun results! Here goes.

Each Sunday, a drum/percussion track is posted. Would be posted in individual drum parts (chorus, verse, maybe bridge, maybe others) so users could mix and match them as they see fit. Minimum of two drum parts. Could be posted as individual drum parts so that mixing/effects can be controlled by users, but not required. Free, canned tracks from internet are allowed.

Participants then produce individual tracks around that basic drum track. So we are all working on the same base.

Each time an individual produces a new track (bass track, keys track, percussion track, guitar track, vocal track, etc.), they get a point.

Each time an individuals track is used, they get an additional point.

At any time, an individual can post a "final" version and for this they will get a point for each unique final version.

At the end of the week, the final track submits are voted on and each vote is worth a point for the user that submitted it.

The one at the end of the week with the most points wins.

Winner is responsible for posting the drum track for the next week (for which they get one point) and it MUST be posted by EOD Sunday, otherwise that individual would be docked 5 points in the coming week challenge.

Could also have Quarterly and Yearly winners based on point totals (which I believe is already part of the current challenge).

I think this could be done each week rather than bi-weekly as it will be considerably less work than producing multiple songs (though you could do multiple versions).

To manage stuff, we could have rules about posting tracks and/or final versions in such a way that those posts would easily stand out and be easily recognized and counted. For example, must have only the text "Guitar track for week 9 challenge" and link to that track, nothing else in the post. If the posting instruction is not followed, no point given until it is corrected.

I like this for several reasons. One being the fact that we are all working from the same base. Another reason is it's almost like a collaboration. It would also draw some of us out of our comfort zones and challenge us to produce something to a track type that we may not be accustomed to. And finally, it will produce final results that are linked in one way or another that could be more diverse than what we could produce individually.

Just an idea and I am looking forward to participating either way in the upcoming challenge! Thanks for having this thread here, it is honestly one of the major reasons why I signed up for this forum!!

Yeah, I have a hard enough time keeping the Challenge threads up to do date and I found out last week I’ll be pulling double duty for the next several months at work so my free time is about to be cut down considerably and indefinitely. I’m more than happy handing the reigns over to someone willing to put in the work, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that I will not have the time to put into the above.

I’m also perfectly fine with letting the most frequent submitters come up with whatever way they wish for these to continue! I’ll support whatever the majority would like to see here!

I can volunteer to take over running this for next “season”. That is, assuming the structure and rules don’t change much - probably won’t have bandwidth to get much more granular than what we currently have going.

Just speaking for me personally, I need to lower the bar because I feel like I need to put something "amazing" out there each week.

Maybe it just needs to be "what did you accomplish this week" related to guitar, along with sonic proof :)

For me some days that may be a full song, some days may be laying down some scratch tracks, and some days might be some lessons I've been working through.

I look at it as what can I do this week?

I shoot for an instrumental song with the intro, verse, chorus and a bridge … outro

Some weeks nothing gets done.

But I like the one week format because you can generally create a tune; but you have to wrap it up without working it out to perfection.

BTW - just started week 8!

Black And White Drawing GIF by Ai Di Ti

My vote is to stick with 1 point per completed clip.
This is my vote too. And, say 1.5 points for a collaboration? Maybe... ?

I'd also vote for shorter "seasons". Seems like the current one petered out a bit a few weeks ago. Maybe limit them to 5-6 weeks, with a month break in between?

Thoughts?

This is my vote too. And, say 1.5 points for a collaboration? Maybe... ?

I'd also vote for shorter "seasons". Seems like the current one petered out a bit a few weeks ago. Maybe limit them to 5-6 weeks, with a month break in between?

Thoughts?
4 bi-weekly episodes per season. ;-)

Back