Do all “Travel Guitars” suck balls?

I have so far never seen one that doesn't.

But I am ready for enlightenment.

water rain GIF by Psyklon

The least worst one I have found so far is my Mihado GS short scale electric from Poland. A pic here:

19” scale, intonation is good. I even had them build it with SS frets :-)

The least worst one I have found so far is my Mihado GS short scale electric from Poland. A pic here:

19” scale, intonation is good. I even had them build it with SS frets :-)

No offense, but that is one fugly looking guitar! The body extending over the neck, WHY???

Maybe some additional requirements would help the definition of “travel” guitar.

My main guitar is a Strandberg and it travels well, and also plays well. You could probably say the same for most headless guitars as there really is very little compromise with those.

The guitar I posted about earlier in this thread is on another level of travel. It fits in a backpack and is compact enough that you could play it comfortably while sitting in the passenger seat of a car. It has a built-in headphone amp and an aux input. Of course to get those features, some compromises and design decisions are made.

I also have a parlour-sized carbon fiber acoustic that travels really well. I have taken that on several canoe trips. It is very resilient and isn’t affected my moisture or humidity.

So, depending on how I plan on using a guitar or how I am travelling… I have options.

it's a youtuber.. so grain of salt.. but Phil is pretty straightforward

and it's not that small.... he said for the first time, maybe

Maybe some additional requirements would help the definition of “travel” guitar.

That helps! So when I made disparaging remarks earlier in this thread, I was remembering some of the more wacky travel guitar designs from the last few years with hinged or telescopic necks and various other terrible appointments.

I hadn't thought of the Strandbergs and Steinbergers as travel guitars before and they look to be excellent.

The best one I’ve tried so far, that’s truly a “travel” guitar (and not just a small-ish one) is the Strobel. Neck easily comes off so you can pack it in a carry-on (which I’ve done), and easily bolt it back on, tune up, and rock.

Sounds and plays well considering what it is.

A couple pics:

537C032B-5B58-4C46-B052-73F1DF90F20D.jpeg

E0670400-E372-4646-9E29-7A1D4A76463E.jpeg

The best one I’ve tried so far, that’s truly a “travel” guitar (and not just a small-ish one) is the Strobel. Neck easily comes off so you can pack it in a carry-on (which I’ve done), and easily bolt it back on, tune up, and rock.

Sounds and plays well considering what it is.

A couple pics:

View attachment 4975
View attachment 4976
Looks like you can do some sitar shit behind the bridge.

I bought a Hofner Shorty for travel. The fretboard was dyed black and turned my fingers black so it needed some clean up, and the tuners suck. Fretwork isn't the best but other than those issues it's an okay guitar.

Back