DIY weight relief

infomercial jimmy GIF

Removed block was 20 ounces. A few more ounces in replacing the tailpiece, so close to a pound and a half total shaved off the guitar (“shaved”).

Attachments

• 669D62AE-B1D6-410B-A6AB-3B06826FC3BE.jpeg
    669D62AE-B1D6-410B-A6AB-3B06826FC3BE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 469661F5-D8F1-4410-93C5-7F8E2932B3C9.jpeg
    469661F5-D8F1-4410-93C5-7F8E2932B3C9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
TRIGGER WARNING!!!

This is not for those that get squeamish about a little blood/splinters/burn-marks/less-than-straight-lines on a guitar. I don't recommend @Eagle looking at these images.

I've had this Hamer Echotone 335 knockoff for 2 or 3 years now. I think I paid $300 for it, and it included a pair of Gibson '57 Classic pickups (which I pulled and sold, replacing with a pair of antiquities I had kicking around). It plays great and sounds pretty solid, but man was the thing dense. Like the center block was cast lead or something. Was considering selling it, then the switch went out and I was like "ugh, so I gotta take all the electronics out, just to sell it for a couple hundred bucks?!?" Instead, I decided to do a little surgery on it while the electronics were out.

I thought long and hard about how to do this right. Was going to use a drill press to come in from the back of the guitar and remove much of the center block, then cover up the relieved portion with a red-stained piece of thin plywood - from the front everything would still look the same, from the back it'd just look kinda like a weird control cavity cover or something.

In the end, I just said fuck it, got out my hand drill and bored a big ass hole right through the center block just behind the tailpiece. I roughly sketched where I thought the borders of the center block were, clamped the guitar as best I could to my work bench and went to free-hand removal of that chunk with my jigsaw. I immediately broke a blade. No wonder 335s are almost as heavy as Les Pauls a lot of times -- that center section is a full 3" thick since its arched top AND back. 3" solid maple. So then I thought maybe I'd just need to like drill around the perimeter or something -- which sucked. So I went to the hardware store and got a five pack of the coarsest, burliest looking jigsaw blades they had and just went at it. I still have 3 blades left!!! I got a little closer to the edge than intended and so did go through the edge of the center block lightly in a spot or two. Oops. Haven't properly weighed the block itself yet, but I'd say it's pretty darn close to 2 lbs. lighter. Got a light aluminum tailpiece to replace the original that must weigh nearly 1/2 pound itself.
You effed up and it looks like shit. Case closed. :rofl

I dunno - I’ve got about $100 sunk in the guitar at this point and can probably get as much from selling the pickups and tuners alone as I could have from the whole guitar. If ever there was a time to not be precious and act boldly, this was it.
See this:
Screen Shot 2023-07-14 at 7.48.31 PM.png
This is where the tone monkey resides, and you removed it. Very bad mojo.

Here's a better closeup:

Screen Shot 2023-07-14 at 7.49.06 PM.png

Why? Lighter isn’t necessarily better. Different .
I would say that if the owner of the guitar doesn’t play the guitar because it is heavier than he likes and balances too much towards the butt end, then regardless of what removing weight does to the tone or appearance of the guitar, if it means the guitar actually gets played then that is better. The best guitars are those that get played and bring their owners joy.

I would say that if the owner of the guitar doesn’t play the guitar because it is heavier than he likes and balances too much towards the butt end, then regardless of what removing weight does to the tone or appearance of the guitar, if it means the guitar actually gets played then that is better. The best guitars are those that get played and bring their owners joy.
Get a better strap.

Back