Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nux Amp Academy

• Nux MG-30

• Nux Mighty Space

• Total voters
I dont plan gigging. What do you think about Spark 40, should i wait for Spark 2 really? I can found used Spark 40 for 160 - 180 usd.
Yes, wait a couple months for the spark 2.
It has a built in looper, an improved tuner, improved modeling, a built in drum machine, and the option for battery pack.

it also has an AI engine. Like you can say, "create a Metallica tone for me," and it will create a tone for you in seconds. It might not be the greatest tone, but then you can then tweak it. With the Katana, you'll be downloading patches for that.

Even if you don't need any of that stuff, the regular Spark 40 will be under a hundred bucks on the used market once the Spark 2 has been out a couple months. It can be used as a Bluetooth speaker, you can use it for bass, you can charge your phone with it etc. It does a lot more than the Katana

Also, I've used both amps to record with, and the Spark sounds better for silent recording simply because it's a MUCH quieter amp with gain. The Katanas tend to buzz/hum even with a noise gate when you crank the gain. They can be a pain in the @$$ to silent recording with for that reason. They're just a noisy amp by nature when using the speaker as well. The Spark is not, and it has a superior noise gate, even if it was.

Again, the area the Katana is better is for performance because even the 50 is absolutely loud enough to keep up with a rock drummer, and it has a superior footswitch. The katana is a great amp for live performance in regards to bang for your buck, but the Spark would suit your needs better imo.

Last edited:
Yes, wait a couple months for the spark 2.
It has a built in looper, an improved tuner, improved modeling, a built in drum machine, and the option for battery pack.

it also has an AI engine. Like you can say, "create a Metallica tone for me," and it will create a tone for you in seconds. It might not be the greatest tone, but then you can then tweak it. With the Katana, you'll be downloading patches for that.

Even if you don't need any of that stuff, the regular Spark 40 will be under a hundred bucks on the used market once the Spark 2 has been out a couple months. It can be used as a Bluetooth speaker, you can use it for bass, you can charge your phone with it etc. It does a lot more than the Katana

Also, I've used both amps to record with, and the Spark sounds better for silent recording simply because it's a MUCH quieter amp with gain. The Katanas tend to buzz/hum even with a noise gate when you crank the gain. They can be a pain in the @$$ to silent recording with for that reason. They're just a noisy amp by nature when using the speaker as well. The Spark is not, and it has a superior noise gate, even if it was.

Again, the area the Katana is better is for performance because even the 50 is absolutely loud enough to keep up with a rock drummer, and it has a superior footswitch. The katana is a great amp for live performance in regards to bang for your buck, but the Spark would suit your needs better imo.
Thank you very much.

My first thought was Spark. Then I created other options. My problem with Spark is the bass problem. This caught my attention.

Yes, it can be corrected with the help of EQ, but in the end this causes a tonal difference between recording and listening.

Thank you very much.

My first thought was Spark. Then I created other options. My problem with Spark is the bass problem. This caught my attention.

Yes, it can be corrected with the help of EQ, but in the end this causes a tonal difference between recording and listening.
If can be bass heavy when recording, but all you do is turn the bass down when recording. Yeah, it seems weird running a vintage Fender amp sim with the bass set at 3 or 4, but it's to correct the extra bass the little speakers use.

Aparently, this has been corrected in the spark 2, as it's voiced differently between the speakers and line out. Yet, another reason to wait a month or so.

As a result of my final decision, I now have three options;

1- Helix Native + Scarlett Solo + Presonus Eris E5 or JBL 305p

2- Pod Express + Presonus Eris E5 or JBL 305p

3- Nux Mighty Space

It'll all be second-hand.

If you end up with an interface there’s a long list of free amp sim options and you can always keep your ear to the ground for plugin sales.

I don't know much about the free options. What options are available? Are there really good free options?

ML Roots, STL Emissary, Nembrini has a bunch of free stuff
Reaper has a bunch of stock plugins you can use for reverb/delay/fx
NadIR is a free IR loader

Audio assault has heaps of $5 amps if you wanted something more specific.

Plenty of free stuff to get you going especially if you just want to play and not obsess about plugins. Honestly even ml roots does the job on its own for jamming and recording purposes.

Back