Dialing in a Heavier AC15 Tone

bikescene

Roadie
I acquired a Vox AC15C1 recently. One of the album tones I was curious about emulating was from The Shape of Punk to Come by Refused. I had seen on multiple forums that an AC30 was used on the album, although I saw some posts speculating that a JCM800 was used instead.

I've been sampling the amp in NAM, so you are hearing the top boost channel captured with the volume at 3:00. I boosted the NAM input by 4dB, so now I want to go back and capture the volume cranked. I used a few IR blends of my Weber Ceramic Blue Dog with SM57 and MD421. I'll probably share the IR and NAM captures on Tonehunt and here when I am happy with their completeness.

I used an Epiphone SG on the guitars.Bass was an Ibanez Mikro Bass through the Cali 400 amp/cab in Helix Native. Drums were programmed with Toontrack Progressive Foundry SDX.

I think it's plausible that a Vox was used on the record. I think my AC15 got in the ballpark fuzziness of the rhythm guitars on the album.

I am a huge Refused fan, and have played their songs for years ....there is no way that those heavy tones came from a vox.....wrong breakup.

I have a screen shot from a different forum, from a friend of the producer on the album ...here is what he says.

20240815_083947.jpg

Hope this helps .....they recorded everything to 24track tape ....no pro tools at all
I haven't tried copying the tones before. I may fool around with JCM800 models when I get a chance. I kept seeing references to the AC30 in the past, so I wanted to see how heavy my AC15 could get.

I haven't tried copying the tones before. I may fool around with JCM800 models when I get a chance. I kept seeing references to the AC30 in the past, so I wanted to see how heavy my AC15 could get.
That's totally fine, experiment away....I was just trying to help point you in the right direction.

The producer was very particular about how he placed his mics. He knew that properly mic'd he could get massive tones, economically.

Good luck in your journey, and compliments on your taste! Keep fanning the flames of discontent!🤘

Back