Detune Comparison

Roadie
Gear Pro
Here's a clip with some clean chords and detune that switches between the Axe-Fx III pitch block (the "Micropitchshift #519" block here) and the preset it's matched to on the Eventide H3500. The clip switches back and forth multiple times between each unit.

The idea that we've gained convenience at the expense of tonal mojo may just be a little bit over exaggerated.

IMO. YMMV. et. al

Oh come on, the thick layer of digital sheen on that Axe-Fx is basically unlistenable.

Smells Bad GIF by SWR3

Listened to that clip through my Hi-Fi and my Beyer headphones 5-6 times i could not tell the difference
Happy new year Leon
1672570590428.png
, and looking forward to more of your amazing videos in 2023

Hey @2112 , off-topic, but just wanted to chime in and say i really enjoyed your "Stuff to Think About" video. Really resonated with some things i've been thinking about myself as of recently.

Happy new year, and thank you for your amazing content man.

Last edited:
That’s awesome. No difference to me.

For real.

I've grown to prefer the sound of pedal effects over studio racks (Helix is particularly good at these) but, if you're looking for the latter, currently no one does those better than Fractal. That pitch shift sounds incredible.

Honestly I have repurchased Fractal a couple times just because of the pitch detune.

Since you have the HX Stomp you should try the detune there. Curious your thoughts.

Honestly I have repurchased Fractal a couple times just because of the pitch detune.

Since you have the HX Stomp you should try the detune there. Curious your thoughts.

The HX detune has it's own thing going on - a side by side would be pretty interesting actually.

The H3500 has two different presets called Micropitchshift that sound different from one another - preset #231 is THE preset most people reference, but it's quite choppy sounding in isolation with the pitch splices seemingly transitioning from one another with no smoothing. Preset 519 sounds a lot smoother in comparison.

The Fractal is considerably more flexible than the Eventide since you can use the Dual Chromatic mode for detune and play with the tracking parameter and style to dial in how smooth/warbly or loose/tight you want it.

Since you have the HX Stomp you should try the detune there.
I tried it just the other day, thought I'd try some G'n'R stuff, used Poly Pitch, and the result was shockingly bad. It tracked with no issues but for just half a step down massive change in tone, all high end was gone. Not sure if it's a matter of amp choice, cab choice, gain amount... I've seen people swear by it.
Or maybe I did something wrong, although I don't think there's much to do wrong with it. Messed with tracking and auto EQ, didn't help much.
For live, absolutely, nobody cares.

Last edited:
Just tested it again.
No idea what was causing the tone change the other day. Everything works fine now. Maybe it was turn it off and on again thing?
Disregard previous comment.

Back