Describe (and contrast) the tone/feel/spirit/vibe of amps in your own words…

Fireproof

Shredder
I’ll occasionally read some really great and poetic descriptions of the different amps in ways that sound spot on, but I would’ve never been able to articulate. Thought it would be fun to hear some of you folks describe the following amps…if someone were new to the amp world and didn’t know where to start… Some of you just have a way with words…

Let’s start with the “big 4”…
Marshall…
Fender…
Vox…
Mesa Boogie…

Marshall = Upper Mid Kerrang
Vox = Compressed/Slightly Saturated Chime
Fender = Squishy/Slightly Scooped Cleans
Fender Tweed = OMFG It Is Gonna Blow The Fuck Up!
Mesa Boogie = You better know what the fuck you are doing or this amp is gonna sound like total shit!! :lol

Mesa - feels good, sounds good - you get a great feeling when one of these is moving air
Vox - I love the Beatles and this is the band I think of whenever someone brings up Vox
Fender - started it all and stayed there.
Marshall - Named after the Fire Marshall that put out the flames on the first one of these. I’ve always loved the sound of a these amps when smoke or flame wasn’t coming off the circuit board.

I’m not even trying to be funny, the last time I played a friend’s Marshall as soon as we took it off standby the transformer blew, and I played in a band with a guy years ago that had smoke coming out of his at rehearsal.

Marshall…
Pretty great. You know that girl next door who is somehow crazy hot and cute and sweet all at the same time. That's it.
Fender…
The boringest thing you'll ever hear. You know that myth about hot librarians. Well it's just that, a myth. This is an old, boring, unsightly hag librarian who would be happiest if you never set foot into library and is annoyed she even has to be there. Avoid at all costs, you don't need to deal with her in your life, just pirate it from torrents.
Meh... You neither hate it nor love it. It's like peas. You'll eat it because there's nothing better right now, but it's not like you'll be ecstatic about it.
Mesa Boogie…
Remember that girl next door. You end up marrying her, except she has a younger sister. Who is also crazy hot. This is her. And she makes you wish your wife was the only child, because, reasons... Hot, fantasy inducing reasons.

Last edited:
...whilst strident highs eff you in the ear until you can't stand it anymore".

VJu6oM.gif

Pretty great. You know that girl next door who is somehow crazy hot and cute and sweet all at the same time. That's it.

The boringest thing you'll ever hear. You know that myth about hot librarians. Well it's just that, a myth. This is an old, boring, unsightly hag librarian who would be happiest if you never set foot into library and is annoyed she even has to be there. Avoid at all costs, you don't need to deal with her in your life, just pirate it from torrents.

Meh... You neither hate it nor love it. It's like peas. You'll eat it because there's nothing better right now, but it's not like you'll be ecstatic about it.

Remember that girl next door. You end up marrying her, except she has a younger sister. Who is also crazy hot. This is her. And she makes you wish your wife was the only child, because, reasons... Hot, fantasy inducing reasons.

This post needs to be a sticky.

Back