Death To All

Oh my God, I just came back from seeing them at the House of Blues Chicago. Holy crap, that was one of the best, most powerful shows I've ever seen. This included my favorite bassist, Steve DiGiorgio, and my favorite drummer, Gene Hoglan, and it was amazing in every single way. I was a little hesitant because Death is my favorite band, and I just didn't want to see anything less than the best in tribute to Chuck Schuldiner's songwriting, but this absolutely was The Best. The performances were just done right, with all the feel and passion they deserve. I just couldn't stop from headbanging almost the whole night. I'll never forget this show.

Oh my God, I just came back from seeing them at the House of Blues Chicago. Holy crap, that was one of the best, most powerful shows I've ever seen. This included my favorite bassist, Steve DiGiorgio, and my favorite drummer, Gene Hoglan, and it was amazing in every single way. I was a little hesitant because Death is my favorite band, and I just didn't want to see anything less than the best in tribute to Chuck Schuldiner's songwriting, but this absolutely was The Best. The performances were just done right, with all the feel and passion they deserve. I just couldn't stop from headbanging almost the whole night. I'll never forget this show.

The guy fronting this outfit, Max Phelps, is a really cool guitarist/songwriter who has an ace progressive jazz metal band of his own called Exist. If you haven't already, you should check their stuff out.

What's up with this happening at the same time as the Left To Die thing is going? I assume they are doing the less progressive Death era vs. DTA who can do it all?

Still makes me sad that Chuck lost the fight and died. Human and Individual Thought Patterns really raised the bar in terms of skilled musicianship, clever, adventurous and catchy songwriting, substance and diversity in Death Metal. And IMHO to this day nothing has kicked these albums off their throne in the Tech Death genre they originated.

Last edited:
Still makes me sad that Chuck lost the fight and died. Human and Individual Thought Patterns really raised the bar in terms of musicianship, songwriting, substance and diversity in Death Metal. And IMHO to this day nothing has kicked these albums off their throne in the Prog Death genre they originated.
He set the bar for that. And really; most things that try to hit that mark (and probably surpass it by far in "brutality") miss the mark overall because they are there decades later. That being said; I'll jam the sh!t out of Scream Bloody Gore 24x7 :satan

He set the bar for that. And really; most things that try to hit that mark (and probably surpass it by far in "brutality") miss the mark overall because they are there decades later. That being said; I'll jam the sh!t out of Scream Bloody Gore 24x7 :satan
Sure, Scream Bloody Gore has its very own charm! And you're right with the "decades later" statement. I mean, for example, I really like Obscura's "Diluvium". It's like a Death & Cynic Greatest Hits compilation channeled into new songs. But despite its clever songwriting, catchy melodies and technical brilliance it's just missing the aspect of innovation, evolution and progress that made Death so inimitably fascinating.

Sure, Scream Bloody Gore has its very own charm! And you're right with the "decades later" statement. I mean, for example, I really like Obscura's "Diluvium". It's like a Death & Cynic Greatest Hits compilation channeled into new songs. But despite its clever songwriting, catchy melodies and technical brilliance it's just missing the aspect of innovation, evolution and progress that made Death so inimitably fascinating.
Absolutely. Chuck's catchiness was very unique compared to the people/bands directly influenced by the later period Death stuff, imo.

What's up with this happening at the same time as the Left To Die thing is going? I assume they are doing the less progressive Death era vs. DTA who can do it all?
Man, I hadn't heard of Left To Die. What I saw was the 30th anniversary of Individual Thought Patterns, but they played from every single album, with their own virtuoso level of musicianship. It was just incredible. Someone at the show told me about Exist, and said that Phelps plays with Cynic too, which tells you all you need to know. He played the Schuldiner solos nearly note for note, but way cleaner, almost like a Petrucci-covers-Schuldiner thing going on. Really cool. Like, I love Schuldiner's passion and fire, but he was entirely self taught, and this guy was just utterly controlled. Bobby K. was much looser on stage, and still excellent. He did a lot of improvised parts, and it was great. And watching, DiGiorgio, I think he just improvised the whole show.

Well shit this is gonna be in Denver on Saturday....

I might already have tickets to the disco biscuits that evening though :sofa

Well s**t this is gonna be in Denver on Saturday....

I might already have tickets to the disco biscuits that evening though :sofa

That's funny; we just moved to Wisconsin from Denver, and the first time I saw Death To All, it was in Denver, with Paul Masvidal and Sean Reinert. It was a celebration of Human, and they only played songs up to that point.

It's weird, because I saw Death twice (Symbolic and Sound of Perseverance tours), and now I've seen Death to All twice. The thing about Schuldiner live was, he didn't move very much, but he had this weirdly commanding presence. It was really powerful to see.

Sound Of Perseverance is on rotation here often.
Never grew fond of the earlier stuff though mainly because it doesn't sound as good.

I guess it's a preference thing. To me they're best production was Spiritual Healing, followed by Symbolic. I listened to the Control Denied album yesterday and couldn't deal with the sound at all. I love The Sound of Perseverance for the music, but the production always turned me off haha.

Back