Could this be repaired?

A friend is selling his Les Paul. This is the only issue with it:
IMG_3155.jpeg

I guess the guy that owned it before him tried to move the strap button for some reason. Or maybe he pulled it out a bunch of times. Dunno. Looks like a late night drunken repair to me.

Do you think i could repair it to where it’s not visible?

The repair itself is pretty easy, the invisible part is where it gets tricky. You’ll need mahogany of a matching color to the guitar body, lining up the grain in the plugs with the grain in the body, then matching and blending the finish.

Piece of cake.

I'd be afraid what else that poor guitar was subjected to, tbh.

Although you'd be saving it, so there's that!

A guitar that you think sounds good, that needs a cosmetic repair, for a reasonable price, that could also be sold for same price or more later on, and you're not going to buy it?

Can you personally confirm this?
:whistle:
Yes, he was going to sell it last year and asked me to go over the electronics as the tone controls weren’t working. It has a Creamtone wiring harness and every one of them that I’ve come across have had terrible soldering and nonsensical wiring. The values are well chosen but the execution is amateurish.

While I had it, I also gave it a primo setup. It has no other issues beyond the extra strap button holes and common Gibson tuning stability issues.

Got a brown sharpie? 10 second fix. :LOL:

Honestly, I'm trying to figure out wtf this person was thinking and how it got this way. 3 failed attempts at drilling one new hole for a strap button? Drilling holes and screwing the strap itself into the wood to prevent it slipping off the strap button? I'm so confused...

Yes, he was going to sell it last year and asked me to go over the electronics as the tone controls weren’t working. It has a Creamtone wiring harness and every one of them that I’ve come across have had terrible soldering and nonsensical wiring. The values are well chosen but the execution is amateurish.

While I had it, I also gave it a primo setup. It has no other issues beyond the extra strap button holes and common Gibson tuning stability issues.

I did this back when I was still drinking. :facepalm

dwahug6fymuqraociqrz.jpg

Phillips head slipped off twice and left a couple of nice star shaped dings.

aefzklbrtl0cggo09yhi.jpg

Full disclosure in the Reverb ad and I knocked $100 off. Buyer was cool and, like what's already been said,
noted his strap will cover it for gigs.

Unless you know what you're doing it's pretty easy to make something like this worse.
Better to let the buyer choose if they want to fix it, and then how to do it.

I’m pretty sure I don’t want another Gibson that won’t stay in tune. 😄

I wouldn’t want that either. Get a Gibson that will stay in tune, you’ll be much happier

Amazing how long Gibson has survived as a legacy brand with those chronic tuning issues.

Miracle of miracles!!! :rofl

Try winding the G & B strings over vs under and add a few more windings. Cuts down on the break angle and seems to stay in tune better.

Back