Consumables- Picks, Strings, & Batteries Oh My!

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
TL;DR What do you buy, and why?

I was just at the store, and passed the battery "stand" that they stick right out in the middle of the aisle, you know, to remind people like me that, "Oh yeah, I need batteries."

I'm almost out, and I have 3 guitars that I rotate through that each take 3 AA's, so I grabbed a big pack. But what I really wanted to do was look into rechargeables, and compare the cost, since I've used them for many years (but my charger doesn't work any more, and several of the batteries are shot), so I wanted to buy a new set.

But like I said, I didn't want to run out while waiting for them to be delivered, since I would order them online, so I just grabbed them. Done. For a while anyway.

But anyway, that's not really my point.

What I wanted to ask was, do you guys really consider your choices when buying these comsumables? As in, What's the best value, for example?

Have you truly determined that those Elixers last twice as long, or is it possible you just buy into the marketing hype? (Not saying either is right or wrong.)

I'll admit I have no idea if the Duracells I bought are better than the Energizers. Or if rechargeables are a better value, because I'd have to weigh out the up-front costs, compared to how long they last, and if I really wanted to make an informed decision, also factor in the cost of the electricity to recharge them. And if I really wanted to nerd out, also think about the environmental aspect.

How do you decide? Is that $40 Blue Chip pick really worth it, or is it just confirmation bias, because you spent so much money on ONE pick?

Or is all of this stuff simply too small to even think about?

For me, wrt to strings: Since I play EBMM guitars, and they put 10-46 Slinkys on them from the factory, that's how I make my decision- Buy those same strings. I hardly ever break strings, and even then it's only when I've left them on the guitar too long, so for me, I think spending extra money wouldn't be worth it. And I have compared D'addario to Ernie Ball, and have used both, so as far as I'm concerned, they're both great.

But I do buy the RPS version, since I think every manufacturer out there puts a cheaper replaceable item on their products to save costs.

If it were tubes, I'd go with whatever Eurotubes would recommend (I'd call them.) But I definitely don't "Only buy Mesa-branded tubes for my Mesa amps" because that's what Mesa says to do.

Picks- I went through my "Try as many different ones as possible" phase a long time ago, and settled on JP Jazz III's. Cuz Petrucci. Maybe a dumb reason, but whatever. I would like to try a Blue Chip though (I do not lose picks; I wear them out), but I'm just not $40 curious. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ernie ball 11-54
green dunlops
i dont use any batteries

i just buy 3 packs of strings at a time with a pack of picks when needed.

No real proof, but it seems that Energizer Max last longer for me, so I've been buying them.

Strings, I have been all in on EB Paradigm for a couple years but just tried NYXL on a few guitars. Seem to not need stretching anywhere near as much as the Paradigms and helped me lock in the RG trem super fast. Could've just been that the store I bought them at had them for 10 years and they are shot! :grin Used Elixir a couple years and they are fine, too, just maybe a tad more dull sounding.

And I'm a firm believer in Blue Chip, as long as you stay at their "55" size or larger - they take years and years to wear out. I prefer the IBJ-55 (multiple holes in them). Every time I grab a Petrucci Flow, I do like how they play, but in a few days they are shot. Add up how much you spend on picks and decide if one $40 pick is better for you or not. The problem is finding the one you like, I finally did after 6 $40 excursions, lol.

Question What GIF by Harlem

Ewww..... Eurotubes and JJs.

:sofa

:LOL:

I am a big Rechargeable Battery guy when I can. I have AA Rechargeables I have had for over
10 years. Just seems like a wise thing long-term.

I will never use coated strings. Yuk. :barf

Had some issues with the stouter alloys eating up frets on a guitar much faster. No issue for
cats with SS frets, but having Nickel frets on most of my guitars I stay away now. If Pure Nickel
and Nickel wrap were good enough for Eddie, Jimi, and David then I am pretty sure my standards
are not in need of being higher than theirs. I can get along with Ernie Balls, Markleys, D'Addarios,
and DRs. Not too picky.

Also, strings last forever with me since I am not a toxic person, and rotate guitars a lot and don't
play anyone axe exclusively. :idk

Picks are cheap and I am always losing them. Where do they go? :facepalm I do have some V Chips, though,
that a friend gave me. I call "hype" on the $40 pick train. If you can't find a pick that is $5 a dozen
or half a dozen and be happy you are high maintenance. No offense, @Warmart . :hugitout:beer

I buy a shitload of batteries for work, so I just tell our accountant to take what I owe from my paycheck. Duracell or Energizers show up, I can’t say I’ve ever noticed a difference between them.

Still using the Petrucci picks, a couple times a year I’ll order 4-packs and I never have to dig for one.

Strings I order in sets of 3 and I’ll also order them whenever I think it’s been a while since I did last, so I always have some extra packs kicking around. NYXL’s on everything.

Add up how much you spend on picks and decide if one $40 pick is better for you or not. The problem is finding the one you like, I finally did after 6 $40 excursions, lol.
Oh I definitely agree value-wise. My problem is, I'm not spending $40, times 5, to get 5 different picks, so I can decide which one is right for me. And I don't have anyone near me that uses them, that I could try. And even with the long threads about them, that I've read, I still don't think I could make the right choice.

Iow, I'm pretty sure I'd buy 1 or 2, and then have a better than 50% chance that I just wasted that money.

I'll just continue buying the JP Jazz III's in bulk, whenever I see a sale. They run about $4 for 6.

I don't mess with any strings besides Ernie Balls

picks 1.14mm tortex jazz IIIs like I've used for years

only thing I use batteries for is my IEM pack, I just kind of put whatever in there. I've accidentally left it on for 3 days enough times that a longer lasing battery isn't necessarily going to mean much :LOL:

I haven't bought or replaced a tube in years so out of the loop there. I have a small stash that I have not had to reach for in years either

Picks are cheap and I am always losing them. Where do they go? :facepalm I do have some V Chips, though,
that a friend gave me. I call "hype" on the $40 pick train. If you can't find a pick that is $5 a dozen
or half a dozen and be happy you are high maintenance. No offense, @Warmart . :hugitout:beer
Obviously, not all that experienced as compared to most of you dudes. But, you're gonna hear my reasoning anywho :clint

Little aggravates me more than fuckin' some part up and then seeing my pick is shot. :pitchforks

With the Blue Chips, I know it's cause my technique, at that particular time, sucked. That I can fix!

That being said, I have a drawer full of fookin' "peasant picks" y'all are welcome to. :hmm:pickle:grin:banana HEH! "Peasant Picks", that shit's funny!!

Oh I definitely agree value-wise. My problem is, I'm not spending $40, times 5, to get 5 different picks, so I can decide which one is right for me. And I don't have anyone near me that uses them, that I could try. And even with the long threads about them, that I've read, I still don't think I could make the right choice.

Iow, I'm pretty sure I'd buy 1 or 2, and then have a better than 50% chance that I just wasted that money.

I'll just continue buying the JP Jazz III's in bulk, whenever I see a sale. They run about $4 for 6.
And that's why you got your little buddy, Warmart, ready to help you. Ignore the minor fuzz.
IBJ vs JP.jpg

On the left, in "holy brown" - is a Blue Chip IBJ-55. On the right, in "JP black" is ...... well, you know what it is, you're a big JP fan.
They play and sound virtually the same. This is the one to try.

And if you still wanna be a pain, lol, I can bring some with me next time I'm in your neck o' the woods.

Obviously, not all that experienced as compared to most of you dudes. But, you're gonna hear my reasoning anywho :clint

Little aggravates me more than fuckin' some part up and then seeing my pick is shot. :pitchforks

With the Blue Chips, I know it's cause my technique, at that particular time, sucked. That I can fix!

That being said, I have a drawer full of fookin' "peasant picks" y'all are welcome to. :hmm:pickle:grin:banana HEH! "Peasant Picks", that shit's funny!!

And that's why you got your little buddy, Warmart, ready to help you. Ignore the minor fuzz.
View attachment 28332
On the left, in "holy brown" - is a Blue Chip IBJ-55. On the right, in "JP black" is ...... well, you know what it is, you're a big JP fan.
They play and sound virtually the same. This is the one to try.

And if you still wanna be a pain, lol, I can bring some with me next time I'm in your neck o' the woods.
Is it just a value thing, or, as compared to that JP JIII, does it "glide" through the strings, like I've read?

Iow, if it wasn't about the longevity, do you prefer the BC? Does it actually help with your playing?

And how thick is it? I'm quite used to the 1.5 Jazz III.

I’m more pragmatic with some things than others.

Picks
I’ve tried all the expensive boutique picks and I always come back to good old Dunlop Jazz III and 351 shape medium celluloid.

Nothing sounds better to me than a medium celluloid pick for most things.

I’ve got a drawer full of expensive picks collecting dust, my gig bag is full of EJ Jazz IIIs and D’Andrea medium celluloid. Though I might switch to D’Addario medium celluloids. I like the shape and they seem to have a bit better grip.

Strings
NYXLs for most guitars because I like the sound, and I’ve found I don’t break them nearly as often. They give me some peace of mind at a gig.

LP gets Stringjoy Broadways because every time i try something different on it I’m disappointed in the change in sound. Nothing sounds better to me than those strings on that guitar.

I always keep packs of regular XLs in my gig bag as backups.

Batteries
I buy bulk of whatever is cheap. I’ve been getting the bulk boxes of Amazon Basics ones and they work fine for me.

Tubes
It’s a mixed bag depending on the amp. The only constant is I HATE JJ preamp tubes. I will not touch those things.

No batteries.

No tubes.

Jazz III Carbon Max Grip.

Harley Benton "High Quality Strings" (around 1/3 the price of D'Addarios, every bit as good) for 10-46s, D'Addarios for 11-48 (too bad the HBs are 11-52). Plus some packs of HB "Value Strings" (and again half the price of their HQ strings) as spares and when I'm fooling around a lot with some guitars (changing electronics and what not).

Is it just a value thing, or, as compared to that JP JIII, does it "glide" through the strings, like I've read?

Iow, if it wasn't about the longevity, do you prefer the BC? Does it actually help with your playing?

And how thick is it? I'm quite used to the 1.5 Jazz III.
I think it glides a bit better, but enough that it's really noticeable? :idk

Really the main thing for me is it doesn't wear out, at least I've had some 3 or 4 years and you can't see wear. The thinner ones do wear, though still much less so.

Here's direct from their site, I was also initially confused by their sizing numbers - as compared to every other pick maker lmao.
Inspired by Andy Wood, the IBJ55 pick is larger than a regular Jazz pick, and smaller than a Jazz LG. It has a universal rounded bevel and comes with 6 pre-drilled holes in the center. This pick is 55/1000 of an inch(1.4mm) thickness. All of our picks are professionally machined, hand beveled, and laser etched.
So 1.4mm and I doubt you'd care, they are a wee bit stiffer so should be as close a match as you can find.

Lots a really perfect looking fake strings around these days . If you’re guitar is hard to get to stay in tune or intonate it’s often that. Only buy from a trusted source and prices that are too good to be true are just that.

Lots a really perfect looking fake strings around these days . If you’re guitar is hard to get to stay in tune or intonate it’s often that. Only buy from a trusted source and prices that are too good to be true are just that.

Good to know, I wasn’t aware of that.

Guess that’s another good reason for me to stick with direct from Stringjoy

I think it glides a bit better, but enough that it's really noticeable? :idk

Really the main thing for me is it doesn't wear out, at least I've had some 3 or 4 years and you can't see wear. The thinner ones do wear, though still much less so.

Here's direct from their site, I was also initially confused by their sizing numbers - as compared to every other pick maker lmao.

So 1.4mm and I doubt you'd care, they are a wee bit stiffer so should be as close a match as you can find.
And I think you'd actually be fine with IBJ45, IBJ50 or IBJ55. Forgot, but I'm using 45 (and that's what the picture is above) most of the time and 55 on 7-string. Any size other than '55', you have to mention in the comments when you order. They just never added any of the other sizes of this model to their site.

picks:
i mainly exclusively use the jazz iii pitch black for gigs . At home I gravitate towards those, some black and purple tortex. Been a red jazz iii (normal and xl) for many years but they don’t suit me anymore. But I certainly have like 20/30 different picks and like maybe 300 at home lol.

Strings : I have really acidic sweaty hands, I can rot a Ernie Ball in half an hour. I play exclusively elixir since 2004/5. Not the best sound but they last really long for me.
I play 11/49 (standard E), the past 2 years I had to get back to 9/42 and 10/46 because of some real bad problems in my neck that made me loose my ability to control some fingers. Hundred and hundred hours of pain, tears and work it’s getting better and I get back to my beloved 11/49.

Battery.
1.5v : eneloop pro. The best rechargeable battery
9v : some cheap Amazon rechargeable ones and they works soooo great. Last really long

Back