Comfy 7 string while standing up? (Ibanez ICTB721, Jackson RHOADS JS22-7 RR)

2dor

Roadie
Hey folks,

Been playing live with a band for a few months now.

With the band, I currently play a Schecter KM-7 Hybrid (we play in Drop A, so standard 6 with a Drop A lower string) which is a pretty damn fine guitar but while I love the scale length and the guitar overall, playing with it standing up feels a bit off.

I'm used to keeping the guitars with the neck pickup slightly at or above belt level and for the most part it's fine with my 6 string stuff. With the Schecter, the weight / proportions kinda make it a bit alien: my forearm ends up on the edge of the body which means my palm isn't naturally resting on the bridge or anchored easily. It's not much of a big deal for rhythm but a b!tch for leads where I need a bit more precission / control. Raising the strap somewhat helps but in the long run doesn't feel comfy on my right shoulder as I get tensed up.

I've been looking around at some other 7 strings and I've seen that Ibanez have their Iceman ICTB721 which seems like a pretty ergonomic axe but all demos I see is people seated & not necessarily touching on the standing position.

I also noticed Jackson came out with a budget Rhoads 7-string guitar which might seem comfy (never played a Rhoads ever in my life).

Anybody have any experience with these? Any other options I could look into?

I'm used to keeping the guitars with the neck pickup slightly at or above belt level and for the most part it's fine with my 6 string stuff.
I checked how my 7-string Kiesel hangs on a strap and the neck pickup is closer to my navel than my belt buckle.

I don't think the guitar design is going to make a huge difference here, but just raising the guitar higher.

I checked how my 7-string Kiesel hangs on a strap and the neck pickup is closer to my navel than my belt buckle.

I don't think the guitar design is going to make a huge difference here, but just raising the guitar higher.
Thanks for the input & taking the time to check.

I guess that's something I'll be toying around with more (strap height).

Back