Cheapest amp capture/profile/sample player pedal? Mooer Preamp Model X X2 + MNRS Profiles

kartikg3

Roadie
Anyone used/using this pedal? Recently learned about it in a YouTube video and I was curious. Would love to hear people's thoughts on the tones from this pedal and Mooer's MNRS profiling in general.

Anyone used/using this pedal? Recently learned about it in a YouTube video and I was curious. Would love to hear people's thoughts on the tones from this pedal and Mooer's MNRS profiling in general.
I have not played that one, but if I was going to spend that much on it, I would seriously look into a NUX MG300. I have had that one for a few years and it really has a lot of bang for the buck, IMO.

The MG300 has some decent amps, cabs, and effects, but also has a looper, multiple drum tracks, and expression pedal for volume or wah. You can also upload IR's to it, but I never needed to do it.

Either way you go, I dont think you can go wrong. It seems all the stuff out now is pretty good and much better than what was around just a few years ago. Good luck whatever you decide. If you do get it, let us know how it is.

If you want captures/profiles, i think that is as cheap as it can get. The next one in line would be Mooer's Preamp Live, at ~$300.

Haven't played a Mooer profiler myself but, from a few random YT clips, it does seen to be a tad less accurate than the alternatives.

Last edited:
I would seriously look into a NUX MG300
I've had the MG300 in the past. Loved it. I've since moved onto different modelers. But some of the drives and amps esp the jcm800 were gold on the MG300.

I am casually looking for a preamp pedal that can complement my HX Stomp on certain patches.

I have one. It sounds great. I captured my SLO WITH IT. The Slo had a badly squealing preamp tube at a gig. The Preamp X2, well, it saved my bacon. And honestly, you couldn't hear the difference.

BTW, the preamp live will not run the MNRS captures.

If someone knows what they are doing, the captures are great. Much like my Kemper. The X2 lives on my pedalboard now and I use it at smaller gigs. I also have a Tonex, and like the X2 just as much.

What do you mean it won't run captures? My bummer with these is there doesn't seem to be a way to remote switch them on and off

I have one. It sounds great. I captured my SLO WITH IT. The Slo had a badly squealing preamp tube at a gig. The Preamp X2, well, it saved my bacon. And honestly, you couldn't hear the difference.

BTW, the preamp live will not run the MNRS captures.

If someone knows what they are doing, the captures are great. Much like my Kemper. The X2 lives on my pedalboard now and I use it at smaller gigs. I also have a Tonex, and like the X2 just as much.
You use 3 profile boxes? Why?

Again, if I am not mistaken, Mooer Tone Capture is just EQ matching.
Yes, this. It is like the Positive Grid Bias amp. I'd expect similar quality of results. I'd personally try to scratch together the cost of a ToneX if the budget was tight. Save like 20 bucks a paycheck or something and add it to the money you would have spent on the Mooer. You'd get there pretty quick.

With the ToneX pedal the upper tier of performance is available for a very reasonable investment. If money's that tight it makes even less sense to throw away the $150+ that the Mooer costs on something you are just not going to be happy with in the long run. IMHO.

PSA: Mooer Preamp Live -> steer clear!

Fortunately I bought mine used for 150€, but it's still expensive for a bricked paperweight.

This thing is cool though, as long as it gives you audio.

The big benefit of the X2 is that it will fit in pretty much any available space. If it could be switched with MIDI, or at least remotely bypassed, I'd be all over it! Hopeing they make a smaller ToneX

Back