Changing Magnets In Humbucker Changes D.C. Resistance ?

PLX

Shredder
TGF Champion
Not supposed to happen.. however

I have a Booteek pickup that the winder wrote "8.8kΩ" on the plate when he wound it.

I've had the pickup for 14 years, and swapped out the A2 mag for an A8

Pickup now measures 8.92kΩ

:unsure:

Changing the magnet shouldn't change that. Did you measure it before you changed the magnet? The measurement that is written on it may have been the target they were trying to hit and .12 ohms would be within any pickup winder's tolerances.
I did when I first got it.

Many the fact that the speed of light is slowing has some effect on my pickups, over the course of 14 years ?

:cop

Yeah it's most likely due to changes in air temperature. Sometimes I measure pickups that were delivered in the winter and I can watch the resistance climb from like 7k up to 8.5k as it warms up.

Not supposed to happen.. however

I have a Booteek pickup that the winder wrote "8.8kΩ" on the plate when he wound it.

I've had the pickup for 14 years, and swapped out the A2 mag for an A8

Pickup now measures 8.92kΩ

:unsure:
Pour some water on the magnet. That should do the trick. Everyone knows what water does to magnetism. Ask a typical person from Alabama.

Yes but I doesn’t really mean anything. The changes in the magnet are changing the sound. You can change the feel of the way the sound reacts.,

Gristle lettuce, man. Gristle!
200_s.gif

A different core composition will change the dc resistance of an inductor.
How much? I don't know.
1.3% change is no massive difference, though...

120 ohms/1.3%? Perhaps the winder had a meter that was slightly off cal compared to yours? Meters do have tolerances like anything else, and sometimes the metrology can be lacking, to say the least. There are also varying degrees of tolerance of the various resistance scales, not to mention using an old analog ohmmeter vs a DVM, or even between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 digit DVM. Just sayin'...

120 ohms/1.3%? Perhaps the winder had a meter that was slightly off cal compared to yours? Meters do have tolerances like anything else, and sometimes the metrology can be lacking, to say the least. There are also varying degrees of tolerance of the various resistance scales, not to mention using an old analog ohmmeter vs a DVM, or even between 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 digit DVM. Just sayin'...
Should've come back and updated this thread.. but I updated it on another site and forgot about this one.

I cleaned the meter jacks and leads with Deoxit D5 and dried the connections with compressed air.

Reading was correct.

Should've come back and updated this thread.. but I updated it on another site and forgot about this one.

I cleaned the meter jacks and leads with Deoxit D5 and dried the connections with compressed air.

Reading was correct.
Sure, glad it was resolved.

Just out of curiosity... which reading? Doesn't really matter to me, just wondering.

Sure, glad it was resolved.

Just out of curiosity... which reading? Doesn't really matter to me, just wondering.
I use a Fluke 115, and the 100Ω discrepancy was down to simply removing the test leads and cleaning the connections with contact cleaner.

Back