Caught Pantera last night

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I purposely have not watched any footage of this new lineup with Zakk and Charlie because I have known for awhile now that I would be seeing them on this tour. As soon as it was announced actually.

Fantastic show! Not only so tight and on point musically but loaded with tons of video footage and verbal honoring of Vinny and Dime and honestly at a couple points I found myself teary eyed from the experience. To be honest I expected Phil to suck. The guys singing style and lifestyle from what I see made me think he'd have no shot of pulling it off and it would be a shitshow for him. I was dead wrong. He was as on point as the rest of the band vocally and commanded the stage and crowd masterfully. Yeah you can tell they tuned down some but it most certainly didn't affect the experience in a negative way. I was also surprised at how they pretty much packed a large outdoor amphitheater. It was 1994 all over again.

If you are on the fence about experiencing this, you can cast away any doubt you have. It's an awesome show that will take you back but also show you that Pantera's music is far from dead and will show you how not just the members of the band love and respect Dime and Vinny but everyone in the crowd does too.

That's awesome Bob!
Admittedly, I was on the fence about whether they should tour as Pantera, without Vinnie and Dime. But I'm glad they did, and the live youtube shows I've watched have been great. Happy they're out there doing what they love.

I've been so impressed by the footage I've seen online. Charlie in particular seems to really be nailing Vinnie's sound and groove.

While they’re using Vin’s samples, Charlie is still nailing everything so damn well. So damn solid and from my experience playing Pantera songs live, particularly “This Love”, it was a bit to stay that locked in to a slow groove like that breakdown section. I’m not sure if they’re playing to a click or not, but Charlie is killing it.

It’s also been cool to see Zakk stepping up with the solos as well. Totally cool with him Zakk’ing up the songs, but hearing the solos mostly intact has been really nice to hear.

I was lucky enough to see Pantera right before they broke up. No desire to mess with that memory. But glad this version is out there bringing a lot of joy to fans and honoring the brothers while they're at it.

I saw Pantera for one of their first shows (Cowboys From Hell) playing a somewhat small club venue in Montreal
Got to sit and drink with Dime and Vinny before the show, such great funny down to earth people, rowdy but not rude
Then they hit the stage and brought the house down
I doubt anything will ever top that
But I would love to see them with Zakk and Charlie for sure

:headbang

I saw Pantera for one of their first shows (Cowboys From Hell) playing a somewhat small club venue in Montreal
Got to sit and drink with Dime and Vinny before the show, such great funny down to earth people, rowdy but not rude
Then they hit the stage and brought the house down
I doubt anything will ever top that
But I would love to see them with Zakk and Charlie for sure

:headbang
I saw them on Vulgar in Chicago, Far Beyond and in the Quad Cities and Trendkill somewhere else down here in the cornstalks. Cedar Rapids? It's almost impossible to match the awesomeness level of shows from back in the day to now but it sure is fun trying :satan

I only got to see them on the 2001 tour, but I caught them twice. In my hometown and in Worcester, Mass. The venue they played in my hometown is where this pic was taken (which was a 60 second walk from the apartment I lived in for 13 years)-

20LEWISTONweb1-articleLarge.jpg

Phil, being the boxing fan, brought it up a few times during the set and made it a little more of a “Fuck yeah, Phil knows who ‘we’ are!” Both times I was in the seats directly across from the stage and I could still feel the heat from that Pantera sign when they lit that fucker up. Experiencing that band live truly gives you a great sense of how Dime and Vin would jump in and out of a locked-in groove that’s machine tight to a more Van Halen swing, such few bands can jump between those two and I think that’s an understated aspect of Pantera in general.

This is the 2nd show I was at, I don’t think I knew this was on YouTube-

Back