Budget acoustic recommendation for the electric player.

ragingplatypi

Roadie
I grew up playing Martin dreadnoughts and still have one. But over the past decade I’ve developed a lot on electric to the point where my approach is quite different than before. I’ve also developed some chronic pain issues in my hands and arms, which I manage with stretching and the aforementioned change in approach.

Now I’m being asked to play more acoustic for some gigs, and I’m finding I don’t enjoy playing the Martin, and it causes more pain flare ups. I’d imagine the Fender Acoustisonic would do the trick (assuming the neck is strat-like), but I don’t have that kind of cash. I’m looking more around the $500 price point.

I’m not sure exactly where to focus, but I’m thinking a narrower neck will be part of the solution.

I grew up playing Martin dreadnoughts and still have one. But over the past decade I’ve developed a lot on electric to the point where my approach is quite different than before. I’ve also developed some chronic pain issues in my hands and arms, which I manage with stretching and the aforementioned change in approach.

Now I’m being asked to play more acoustic for some gigs, and I’m finding I don’t enjoy playing the Martin, and it causes more pain flare ups. I’d imagine the Fender Acoustisonic would do the trick (assuming the neck is strat-like), but I don’t have that kind of cash. I’m looking more around the $500 price point.

I’m not sure exactly where to focus, but I’m thinking a narrower neck will be part of the solution.

I pickup a used Takamine Nashville series about 15 years ago and it has been a great guitar. Same guitar Kenny Chesney used on tour before he got a sig model. I think payed around $800. I liked it because the neck is wide, but they do make decent ones with narrower necks. I have not had any issues with it over the years and I have beat on it pretty good. For a production guitar, it is pretty good and still plays great. My old guitar teacher was having issues with his Taylor and asked to use it on one of his gigs so that was more support that it was a good guitar to me.

Another option to look at is a Taylor 214ce. That acoustic electric that is around $1000 new, and it played great. My sons friend down the street has one and I couldnt find anything other than the skinny neck that turned me off. It really sounded great, good action, and played well I did not plug it in, so I have no idea how the electronics sound amplified, but since it is a Taylor I'm sure its pretty good.

Good luck with what you decide!

Last edited:
Ibanez makes some respectable budget acoustics. At this price point it is more about the setup than anything else. You need something that can handle a reasonably low action and 11 s . At this price you have to play them first because they will be all different even the same model.

IMHO the best value in acoustics are used Yamahas. You can get good playing and sounding Yamahas for cheap. Don't bother with all solid either. As long as it's a solid top the sound difference between their laminate bodies and all solid are extremely small. I've tested side by side and a respected player friend had the same experience. Both sound excellent.

I bought a $400 Art & Lutherie acoustic about 15 years ago that I would give away every other piece of gear I own to keep. Granted it has sentimental value for other reasons, but I’ve found with acoustics that if you don’t look at the price tag or name on the headstock, you can find an acoustic that you vibe with for not a ton of $$$. But you have to demo them much more thoroughly than electrics imo.

There are a lot of great playing budget acoustics but it is random because of the limitations in how much QC and selection possible at this price point. Nothing is great sounding though. Epic acoustic tone is also a bit of a lottery and I have played many £10k+ instruments that are totally ordinary sounding. Maybe 1in 20 high end acoustics actually sound excellent.

Always thought Taylor were easy to play as you can get cutaways and skinnier necks and all that. I think I put 10s or 11s on mine as I rarely play acoustic.

Try the Taylor GS Mini. It's a parlor body type. I'm the same guy, played electric my whole life and don't feel comfortable on most acoustics. My wife bought herself a Taylor Baby and liked it so much she bought a GS Mini too so she would have a bigger sounding guitar. I was blown away by how nice the GS Mini is to play and even more impressed by how great it sounds. We have 9 acoustics in the house including a really nice Ovation and a great sounding early '70s Yamaha but the Taylor GS Mini is my favorite because of how much fun it is to play and how great it sounds.

I love the Yamaha silent guitar nylon. Super playable, sounds awesome, and great for live…zero feedback.
Idnk the steel string version though…bit defenitly worth checking based upon your OP

I got one of these Breedlove Discovery’s a few years back and dig it quite a bit, the pickup doesn’t even sound that bad (Fishman pre-amp). I think this was $450 when I got it but can’t quite remember. The biggest reason it stuck out to me was because it played so well. So many acoustics you pick up in a store are stiff as hell and/or they just threw a saddle in there without caring how high it is, but this one was just right without messing with it and it sounds great.

IMG_4207.jpeg

Back